Hello Guest

My '92 Sammi - IN THE WORKS

• 68 Replies

Offline flanny

Re: My '92 Sammi - IN THE WORKS
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
i noticed you said you put your windshield in yourself or did i read that wrong? is this a complicated procedure of is it fairly easy to install?
91 SAMMY
8" LIFT
33X12.50
4.53 GEARS
FORD 5.0 HO MOTOR WITH TRANNY

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 09:18:54 PM »
Yes exactly. I'm all about building my rigs to be just as functional as OEM, but with more perks. I think you have more then doubled your investment here.

I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to get a soft top to zip around this puppy. Would be sweet to have the piece of mind of going anywhere, anytime knowing mother nature can't spoil the trip.

I am building my sport cage to replace the soft top frame in my tracker, and it appears that it will. 

I haven't finished, so it is not road tested.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »
i noticed you said you put your windshield in yourself or did i read that wrong? is this a complicated procedure of is it fairly easy to install?

I installed my own windshield on my SJ when I installed the plexiglas.  Wasn't that hard at all but it helps to have two people.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »

I installed my own windshield on my SJ when I installed the plexiglas.  Wasn't that hard at all but it helps to have two people.

Sorry, haven't logged in for awhile... but yes, TWO People!!

Being I had added the bed liner material all around the window opening, it made the re-install of the plexiglass much harder then a stock window or stock metal frame. I should have shaved a MM off the plexiglass to make it easier... and I used all the tricks in the book I knew to make it easier.  Still a tough job.

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
I wanted to also note...
I didn't use the "bow" for the soft top. It makes the top just too hard to snap the back closed. Almost near impossible unless it's out in the sun (the top is recently new, and SUPER tight).  So, I made sure the cage took up some of the slack, and supported the back of the soft top. A little bit of flap at freeway speeds, but the thing isn't anything close to quiet anyway. Who notices some wind flap noise?!

Also, I've got all the parts to do my brake stuff, which is to move the proportioning valve to inside the cab. And to add two loc-lines for when we're on the trail, and need a bit of help holding it in place. Once I do all that plumbing, I'm going to re-do the brake rotors (resurface them, or replace them) and get new pads. We should be 100% here pretty soon.

Funds are still dried up, but I'm going to bite the bullet here pretty soon and make my front and rear bumpers. I've got high-lift jack, Rotopax gas cans, and other stuff sitting in the garage waiting to find a home on the Zuke. Plus, the in-laws just picked up a new Rubicon...  Wow... nice rig.  And they've nearly finished it's upgrades before I'm done.  DRAT! 

.... updates to come. Just don't hold your breath.  ;D

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »
On the plus side, it will make you feel really good when you are able to out wheel them.  :D

For the flapping, I had a YJ that had that issue.  Just get a piece of pipe insulation the right size and put it on your roll bar.  No more noise and it takes up the bit of slack. :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline tombstone

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »
Great job on your Samurai!!Also great picture gallery!Maybe a bit of overkill on some build points though...ok,maybe I'm a teeny teeny bit jealous...OK? ;)

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
............... (update) I'm going to re-do the brake rotors (resurface them, or replace them) and get new pads. We should be 100% here pretty soon.......
Removed the wheels yesterday to see why my rear brakes were squeaking so bad. Come to find out, they had no friction goo between pad and caliper, plus they needed to be replaced anyway. I rounded off a stuck bolt in the process, and had to use my acetylene torch to heat up the axle caliper mount to get the bolt to loosen. Once removed, I ran over to Autozone and was able to get replacement pads and 4 new bolts (M12-1.25). Pads were from a early 90 Geo Tracker "Front". Probably because I have a hybrid rear axle from a track/kick. And 4 bolts and all pads was only $25.  Cool!  No more squeak, and I have new pads (no need to resurface anything either).

Next month, I'm going to finish this thing. No matter what it takes!!  (Mortgage can wait - ;))

On the plus side, it will make you feel really good when you are able to out wheel them.  :D

For the flapping, I had a YJ that had that issue.  Just get a piece of pipe insulation the right size and put it on your roll bar.  No more noise and it takes up the bit of slack. :D
Good idea. I just don't like what the foam insulation looks like. Flapping doesn't bother me too much, as it's rare that my Sammi is going fast enough to cause the issue. haha!

Great job on your Samurai!!Also great picture gallery!Maybe a bit of overkill on some build points though...ok,maybe I'm a teeny teeny bit jealous...OK? ;)
LOL... thanks. And I like to overbuild. It's not much more work, and better then underbuilding. :D

Offline 4x4Johnny

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »
who wouldn't be jealous in this? I envy it too. haha
great work. awesome ride you got there.