Hello Guest

Jamfred's Build Thread

• 11 Replies

Jamfred's Build Thread
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
Hello all!  First time build thread for me here on Zukiworld.  This is my first sami and I am in the process of obtaining all of my parts for my build right now. 

I currently have a frame with oversteer, OME springs, Doichtech shocks, 33" tires, reinforced axels, steering dampener, oversized 1/2 ton driveshafts, transfercase skid, and missing links front and rear. 

Current 3rds have stock open gearing.  Both axles are disc brake setups including 3rd member skids.

I have front and rear aftermarket bumpers.  Tube style front and plate rear with tire carrier.  Will have winch at some point.

Engine is a Suzuki Esteem 1.6L 16valve fuel injected engine with manual trans.  It has power steering and on board air built in.

I am currently looking for a doner vehicle for the tub and transfer case.  I have a couple in mind but we will see how they pan out.  My first order of business is to take the frame down, clean, and repaint everything.  Right now it is a desert sand color and I am going back with black.

I will be getting the frame home in a couple weeks and will post initial pics.  At that time it is off to the races with my grinder and a wire brush wheel. 

I'm looking forward to getting started!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: Jamfred's Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »
Great, don't forget to take lots of pics!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »
Dang, your rolling chasis sounds great!  I wish I had all of those goodies on mine.

I would suggest getting soemthing from the Southwest.  No rust would be the biggest favor you could do for yourself.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »
I am still pretty giddy about everything and the amount that I paid.  My friend is kinda upset with me because I have found so many good deals.  Hopefully I will have the frame home here very soon.  I will take all the pictures I can as the restoration begins.  I like the frame up restoration due to the fact that I can find anything and fix it while it goes together. 

Offline crewcabrob

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
Yeah, I'm more than just a little jealous you can start from the bottom up with your build.  I am right at the begining of my build up but don't have the option at this point to tear the whole thing down and start from scratch.  Maybe the next one.

Rob
92 Sami, OME YJ SPUA, 15x10 Ultra wheels, 32x11.5x15 MTR/k, Corbeau Moab seats, Shrockworks bumpers and tank skid, Mighty Kong, 6.5:1 gears, hi-rock rails, Bushwacker 6" flares, Rampage tinted top, Grant wheel, Truck-lites LED head lights, PIAA LED driving lights, MOAB Husker Spirit license plate

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »
I was not planning a ground up restoration by any means.  The parts just fell into my lap.  It was the right place at the right time.  I will be picking my frame up next weekend.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I now have my hands on a few more parts:

5.12 gearing and lockers for front and rear

I have a friend who might sell me his tub and transfer case......   Getting.  So.  Close.....   ;D

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
Here are some initial pictures of my frame and my tub additional total tin top that I will be working on.  I am starting to get very excited.

The camo painted tub is what came off of my frame that I purchased so that is not mine.  The bumpers and rear tire carrier are though!

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
The tires and wheels on the camo truck are mine as well.  Only have around 200 miles on them.  I will be stripping all of the sand colored paint off the frame and accessories and going black.  Trying to decide what color to paint the tub.  Thinking a dark blue, burnt orange, red, or white.  So many choices  ;D

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
What about the mad exhaust?  Do you get to keep that?  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41:52 AM »
Unfortunately I did not get to keep that wonderful piece of exhaust artwork... ;)

I spent 4 hours yesterday disassembling the frame.  I have all of the panhard bars, mounts, axels, and anything good that I could salvage.  Cut up the old frame and tossed it.

First thing that I noticed was that the skidplate and both front and rear bumpers should be bulletproof.  These things are amazingly thick plate steel.  The tires are in awesome shape and the spare still has the rubber nubs on it.

Still waiting on the title for the roller so that I can go pick it up and get to work on that.  Going to be some long days there!

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:13:16 AM »
Here are some pictures of the frame before tearing it down and cutting it up.