Hello Guest

vw power

• 8 Replies

Offline KJMac

vw power
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
Is there a few people out there that can help with info for wiring and connections?
Thanks
Kevin
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: vw power
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:19:26 AM »
Is there a few people out there that can help with info for wiring and connections?
Thanks
Kevin

Yes.

What are your specifics?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline KJMac

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 11:33:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Eric.
My brother is trying to talk me in to doing the vw 2.0L gas conversion. I have found the conversion kit that is made here in Oregon and I'm concerned about getting it running right, for example correct wiring and computer. Hooking up the vehicle speed sensor and other sensors. Is it as straight forward as getting wiring schematics and splicing? A friend that owns a wrecking yard has a 2L out of a '97 jetta of which I have a credit there that will pay for the engine. I'm also looking at the JDM option as well!
Thanks
Kevin
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline KJMac

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:08:51 PM »
So nobody has done a vw Gas conversion?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »
Leave the stock computer in the trucklet, and then add the VW engine and computer to the trucklet.
wire the VW to it's computer and leave the VSS and other stuff needed to work the Zuki stuff hooked up

cull out all the unused wires fron the VW computer, and just leave the required to run wires in the harness

The only shaired wire I think is the coil, swap over the sensors from the Zuki to the VW engine so the guages
work like they are supposed to and call the thing Frankenstein when ur done

Don't sound that hard does it  ???   :o

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply Eric.
My brother is trying to talk me in to doing the vw 2.0L gas conversion. I have found the conversion kit that is made here in Oregon and I'm concerned about getting it running right, for example correct wiring and computer. Hooking up the vehicle speed sensor and other sensors. Is it as straight forward as getting wiring schematics and splicing? A friend that owns a wrecking yard has a 2L out of a '97 jetta of which I have a credit there that will pay for the engine. I'm also looking at the JDM option as well!
Thanks
Kevin

Hello Kevin,

It's always difficult to answer how difficult an engine swap will be. It's fairly simple to define what needs to be done but there are so many variables on options of what needs to be done and methods used. This doesn't even take into account the person's ability that is going to do the swap. Being a '97 model it is going to be OBD2 which in my opinion is good but makes it so you need to hook up more inputs to 'make it happy'.  If you're familiar with engine swap techniques I'd say that this could be an easier swap because the mechanical is done by a kit but if you're new to swaping or are unsure of wiring techinques I may steer you away from this idea and suggest another approach.

By the way, is this a swap in a Sidekick or a Samurai?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline KJMac

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »
I have a '94 sidekick that is currently controlled by megasquirt. I think I'm going to steer away from the VW after talking to you and do a 2.0l aerio or something along those lines. It is a daily driver that I take deer hunting and run the dunes a little! Thanks for the response!

Kj
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:21:21 PM by KJMac »

Offline MEDEL514

• Ramstein, Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
If you wanna go with a VW motor, don't waste your time with a 2.Slow (2.0L 8v) from a MkIII Jetta, get a 2.0L 16V from a MkII GTi or B3 Passat.  It's a totally different motor despite the displacement similarities.  From there, get a standalone engine management or carb'd ITB's (Individual Throttle Bodies) to run the motor.  your car will scream like a beast!  there's even a sweet turbo kit for the 2.0L 16V too if you wanna upgrade later.  If you go with a VW motor, check out forums.vwvortex.com for a TON of engine swap and engine management information.  My dreams for my Tracker is a VW/Audi 1.8T swap!  I plan to do standalone engine management to make the swap a tad easier.
90' Tracker
- with some goodies

Offline KJMac

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
Medel514,
Thank you, I appreciate your info! For now I have decided to have the head flattened and a new valve job since all the valves leaked, the rest was ok! I'm thinking I will do a diesel next!

Thanks,
Kj