Hello Guest

1.6 16v needs more power

• 5 Replies

Online chadstichter

• 98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-lock
1.6 16v needs more power
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:36:33 PM »
it has a fresh rebuilt 1.6 16v with only 250 miles on it and it is extreamly gutless. i thought it they were just like that but then i drove a buddys and it is lifted even more with 31s also and it darn near lights them up. i was wondering if any one knows anything that i could to help it. i already have a k&n and i took the plumbing out that goes from the air box to the fender stuff. if anyone knows any other upgrades besides a turbo it would help

thanks
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ]
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: 1.6 16v needs more power
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:13:24 AM »
Gearing to match the tires? Fresh rebuild, Is your cam timing off, it would def cause sluggish running. For the record, removing all the airbox / intake plumbing really won't get you any more noticeable power but will kill your low end throttle response and make it run even worse IMO.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »
Fresh rebuild with just 250 miles is not even broken in yet, do a compression check to determine if the rings have seated.

Any leaks in the exhaust prior to the o2 sensor will cause the engine to run like crap, 16V's are notorious for cracks in the stock mani prior to the o2 sensor, this introduces fresh o2 into the airmass fooling the o2 sensor into thinking the engine is running ultra lean and dumps alot of fuel to try and correct it.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline jwarnick11

• Jeep? you know barbie drives one of those.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »
got a set of doug thorley headers on my 16v and ported and polished the head, helped alot.
94 kick 1.6 16v
fully rebuilt motor with custom head work
doug thorley header
jeffs 2in spacer lift
30x9.50 on 15x8 cragers.

Online chadstichter

• 98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-lock
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »
it has the calmini header on it and it has 5.12 gears. the motor is out of a esteem it was in really good condition. i bought a new head, replaced all the seals and put the k&n in it to top it off. so it wasnt really a rebuild just pollishing a turd so to speak i will do a compression check when i have time. if there is anything esle you guys can think of to help the power it will be greatly appriciated thanks
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ]
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
Put a turbo on it.A friend of mine did it with 7psi of boost.It ran great with good power but keeping the exhuast manifold from warping and cracking was a bitch.He just sold it a few months a go or i could of sent some pics.