Hello Guest

Samurai wipers

• 3 Replies

Offline 144man

Samurai wipers
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
How do I access the wiper motor and transmission arms?  My wipers have developed a groan, and I think the pivot points are in need of some lubrication.

Haptown

Re: Samurai wipers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
On a Tintop, you will need to remove the dash cover.

On a ST, you can remove the windshield frame to get full access to the motor and linkage, as both are attached to said frame. Since you are asking, I am assuming that you don't have a windshield fold-down kit installed. The screws that attach the bracket at the bottom of the windshield frame can be a pain to remove it they have not been removed previously. They were originally installed using the same high-strength, high-temp thread locker as the door hinge screws.

Offline 144man

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:57:05 AM »
On a ST, you can remove the windshield frame to get full access to the motor and linkage, as both are attached to said frame. Since you are asking, I am assuming that you don't have a windshield fold-down kit installed. The screws that attach the bracket at the bottom of the windshield frame can be a pain to remove it they have not been removed previously. They were originally installed using the same high-strength, high-temp thread locker as the door hinge screws.
[/quote]

Wow!  Gotta take the windshield frame off?  Is there no other way, like thru the dash?  I really didn't want to dismantle my entire upper body.  This is a bone-stock 87 soft top that used to live at the beach, so most screws and bolts require 24-48 hr soak with PB Blaster BEFORE I round off the heads and grind/drill them out.

Offline kbeefy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »
then remove the dash cover.