Hello Guest

Try-Y or 4 into 1

• 3 Replies

Offline holman

Try-Y or 4 into 1
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:31:57 AM »
Which header design works best with the 16 valve Suzuki, the try-y or the 4 into 1.Does anybody make headers other then Calmini,Thorley and Stans for them.

Offline talonxracer

Re: Try-Y or 4 into 1
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »
The typical short tubeTri-Y header is usually intended for maximum torque production, big midrange gains. The longtube tri-y's gain midrange and topend power and 4-1 headers see gains in the topend usually at the cost of midrange and low end power. As too what header is best for you is really dictated by your gearing and what RPM range you are usually driving at.

The stock shorty manifold actually flows rather well but has some serious drawbacks because of a weak casting. When the cracks start developing(and they will) fresh air is drawn into the exhaust prior to the o2 sensor, this fools the o2 sensor into thinking the A/F is far to lean and it just dumps a ton of fuel to correct it, and the engine feels like a dog and gets single digit fuel mileage.

I have a 98' sidekick running 31's, so I picked the short tube tri-y from XtremeZuks to gain midrange and bottom end power and then coated and wrapped it, http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/technical-discussion-performance-modify/ss-16v-header/
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline holman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Seeing that 99% of my driving is on road and I'm going to keep my stock tires would I be better off with the Thorley or the ExtremeZuks.Would the Thorley be considered a long tube Try-Y.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:11:51 AM »
Both are short tube tri-y's. I have the extremezuks, the thorley is the ONLY header that has been CARB approved.

No one makes a long tube tri-y for the low rpm zuk truck engines, it would be an utter waste of over a grand to have one fabricated for a basically stock engine.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:19:59 AM by talonxracer »
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....