Hello Guest

Copying my lift kit/s

• 20 Replies

Offline diftoyota

Re: Copying my lift kit/s
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 04:34:51 AM »
im with tamarack on this one, your service,quality and more people talking about your lift will make your product just basically more wanted than the others. if i were you id name them,sum-thing as the "the original jeff lift" or sum-thing like that just to show you are the first that made them. im an honest guy and i did my reserch before buying a kit, i wanted a kit that was cheap,very durable,easy to install and fits properly. from my research i have landed up to buy your lift kit for my need, i have seen those before but heard nothing from them on forums so i didn't boder buying them.

making a product and selling is not an easy task, id be pissed as well, like i said, you are well known out there, maybe trying to get the product announced  a bit more as it is popular and the original ones, would make a difference. i wish you luck bud, if i buy another vitara or tracker, your lift will be on it

Offline zuki1018

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
Im in more of a service related industry where the situations are a bit different but I think the concepts are the same.  When you offer innovation, knowledge, and support to back up your service (product) then that is what sets you above the crowd. Another thing is most of my problems at work are almost always from consumers who are solely focused on the lowest price. Clients that want to sit down so they can ask questions and learn everything they can are the same ones I get referral after referral from.

We definitely create our own reputations.  If your the cheap ebay store with no phone number, no website, no tech data/support... chances are you wont be around long.  Like any other "community" word does get around quick! I can give you 2 vendors specific to Sami stuff I wouldn't even buy a gasket from just as well as I can praise 2 others.

Copying someones design, idea, theory, etc. is the uglier side of free-enterprise/capitalism. Either by imitation, identically, or by copy & improving to make a profit... everything around us is like that.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
I had this problem once before, not from something I designed and made but something I sold to make a profit. Someone else started selling a knock off copy so I cut the price to the bone (well below cost) after a short period of time they dissapeared never to be heard from again. Moral of the story, sell yours so cheap that they can't beat your price.

Offline diftoyota

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
i dont know about you guys but i sure hate using aluminum with steel bolts, i can picture that lift to get issues with time or giving issues in the long run to take it apart (seised bolts and breaking off) i find jeff's lift better for that reason.

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
I noticed in their listings they say the parts are made from 6061 billet aluminum. The parts look cast to me and I cannot see how they make any profit if they are machining them from sold billet. I know, I buy it all the time in our shop. If they are as suspected, cast then they are JUNK!! Cheap pressure cast aluminum is so porous and brittle that it will crack in no time. I also love how all the guys copying my kits do not put on ebay where they are located or what part is being referred to on their feed back page. I know, just give it a little time and they will go away but it still bugs me that I did all the hard work, they just copied it. 
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
I noticed in their listings they say the parts are made from 6061 billet aluminum. The parts look cast to me and I cannot see how they make any profit if they are machining them from sold billet. I know, I buy it all the time in our shop. If they are as suspected, cast then they are JUNK!! Cheap pressure cast aluminum is so porous and brittle that it will crack in no time. I also love how all the guys copying my kits do not put on ebay where they are located or what part is being referred to on their feed back page. I know, just give it a little time and they will go away but it still bugs me that I did all the hard work, they just copied it. 

There is a good article about some of the differences put out by Spidertrax in regards to their wheel spacers:

http://blog.spidertrax.com/2012/05/21/4word-with-spidertrax-wheel-spacers/
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing