Hello Guest

87 overheating on highway

• 8 Replies

87 overheating on highway
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
So I posted up about a week ago in the basic forum saying u felt my sammy was running hot, but after getting a feel for the general population, realized I was wrong.  Well now I am actually overheating!  Running around town I have no problem, but after 30 minutes of highway driving, I start to climb a.d I got to about 218 degrees so I pulled off at the next exit.  As soon as I got off the freeway and hit stop and go traffic, my temp gauge dropped drastically.  Any ideas as to why my samurai hates the highway?  Its not like I treat it like a speed demon.  I go no faster than 65.  Usually more like 60.

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: 87 overheating on highway
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
advanced timing will make it run hot.
mabe being wound up has something to do with it.
just a thought.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
Advanced timing?   I'm car retarded lol

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
running lean could do it also, but mabe check out the ign.timing and advance first?
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »
Pull the radiator and take off the timing belt case cover(plastic cover in front held on by 10mm bolts and nuts).  take the belt off(mark it to make sure if ur timing isnt off you put it back on right, actually i would change the belt while you are there) and make sure it didnt jump timing.  Mine did this and no one told me that it could be a timing issue so i wasted lost of money on water pump, radiator, fans, etc etc. 

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »
if you are running an electric fan make sure its atleast 16 inches.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
It could be a timing issue. It has been known to happen. Check it. (your timing) if advanced it will heat at speed.
Generally when an engine jumps time though, it will be very obvious.
 Either the engine won't run or it will rough, as the timing will be way off.  Retarded not advanced.
It's never a bad idea to change out the timing belt AND TENSIONER on a Zuke. I do mine every 2 years regardless of the miles.
 It's in expensive and an easy job.
You may be running lean as well. Check your spark plugs. White = lean, black = fat, brown is normal.
Your  clutch fan could be an issue but generally  it woud heat at low speed if it was the fan. (Any fan)
Your radiator may need a flush, again every couple of years. Think sediment. Refill it with glycoll ( the green stuff).
 Check your hoses . Do this when the engine is running paying special attention  to the lower hose.
  Does it feel soft ?
Can you se it contract as you rev the engine?
All signs of bad hoses....
 Replace your thermostat with a new 180 degree unit.......Again , every couple of years....Boxcar...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:51:05 AM by Boxcar »
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
thank you will and box.  i've got the next few days off so looks like i've got a gameplan.  will update once im done

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
Replace your radiator cap as well.  But that usually doesn't go away but cause a gradual overheat...
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing