Hello Guest

Need Advice Converting 2WD to 4WD

• 10 Replies

Offline ZukiSami

Need Advice Converting 2WD to 4WD
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Hi guys.  After shopping around for about a year, I have finally purchased my first Samurai.  Unfortunately, the one I found is a 2WD but since the body is very solid, I bought it anyway.  Can someone give me some details as to what I need to convert to 4WD?  My plan is to do a frame-off restoration and install a 1.6 16V.  I have access to a '89 Sidekick.  I'm not sure if it has the 1.3 or 1.6 engine.  At any rate it's not a 16V so I'm not inclined to use it.  In my younger days, I did a lot of hot-rodding so feel pretty comfortable that I have at least the basic skills to do a decent job.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Offline Boxcar

Re: Need Advice Converting 2WD to 4WD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:16:33 AM »
Front axle, T case, drive lines, tools, patients, time, band aids, and a love of the addiction.....Boxcar...
 PS: You might want to find a complete bucket of a Sammy to use as a donor. It will simplify things...
God Bless
88.5 Samurai Heavily modified.

Offline ZukiSami

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
Boxcar, thanks for your comments.  Can I use the drive train out of a 1989 4WD Sidekick.  Or, better yet from a 16V Sidekick or Tracker?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:55:42 PM »
The Tracker/Sidekicks make a nice engine donor but the entire front-end is different.  You need to find a wrecked Sammy.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ZukiSami

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
Yes I know that the Sidekick has IFS.  At the risk of being banned from this website, I'm giving some thought to converting my Sami to IFS.  Finding a wrecked Samurai for the necessary parts down in this part of the country is not easy, but I'm looking.  Also, I won't be doing much if any crawling, so SAS is not all that important to me.  I'll be on the road 80 - 90% of the time and the few times I need 4WD, it'll be mud and sand.  I think IFS will work fine for me, if it's not too complicated a conversion.

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »
I'm not going to say that it can't be done. God knows I have done more complex conversions.
 But I will say that if you want a side kick buy a side kick....
If you need the parts to convert your Zuke to 4wd Just ask....I have them all.
 Of course, I live in Astoria Oregon. A beautiful place to vacation. Bring a trailer....Boxcar...
God Bless

Offline ZukiSami

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »

Thanks for the offer Boxcar.  I'm sure it would be a great trip.  But, yesterday I was able to make a deal to buy the necessary parts to convert to SAS 4WD.  And, they're a lot closer to home.  I do have one question though (for now that is); will I be able to use my 2WD transmission?

Thanks again for your help.  Oh, by the way, I love your Sami!!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »
Only if your using a divorced transfer case.  The stock t-case will not bolt up to a 2wd 5sp transmission unless you cut down the output shaft.  The splines start at the same point, but the 2wd is about 3-4" longer.  Not sure about with the auto.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »

Thanks for the offer Boxcar.  I'm sure it would be a great trip.  But, yesterday I was able to make a deal to buy the necessary parts to convert to SAS 4WD.  And, they're a lot closer to home.  I do have one question though (for now that is); will I be able to use my 2WD transmission?

If you are talking about a samurai, then yes.  Samurai's don't really have "2wd" and "4wd" trannys, since the tcase is not mated directly to the tranny.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

If you are talking about a samurai, then yes.  Samurai's don't really have "2wd" and "4wd" trannys, since the tcase is not mated directly to the tranny.

Oh yea, this is the SJ thread.  I was thinking this was the X90 thread.  Man, I am off my game...
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Boxcar

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »
Sounds like all you need now is time...Boxcar...
PS: godd wrenching...
God Bless