Hello Guest

3 kids in 1 samurai????

• 6 Replies

3 kids in 1 samurai????
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:23:16 AM »
Ever get that feeling like you have too many kids for your rig?  Down the road, I will add to the vehicular arsenal, but for now, my goal is to make it work with very limited space.

First step is to mark and cut the wheel wells.  
next, used 16guage sheet to cut and form to shape that will accomodate  Neri style 42" rhino bench
Tack weld into place and then let it rip.  
 16 guage is a bit heavy, but it worked here.  Wanted to give it a bit of an angle which "boatsides" it a bit in the outer wheel well.  there is still ample room for stuffing my 32x10.5s on 2.5 backspaced wheels
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:29:28 AM by TDB industries »

Re: 3 kids in 1 samurai????
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:36:26 AM »
Continued tacking in place then used a good automotive seam sealer on interior and exterior seams and welds.  Once dried a bit, painted and undercoated.  While I was at it, I cut and installed new rear interior panels out of some ABS plastic I had laying around, and some 1/8" aluminum painted white to cover rear corners.

I am wrapping up the seatbelt mounts and a few minor finish items, but the seat fits great.  Exploring options for harnesses to use off road for the kids who are not infants. I realize this arrangement may not be preferable in the eyes of johnny law, but it will suit the needs of this family. :)

Offline TinTopTom

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
I like it! Clean, safe, almost looks factory  :-*

I've done all sorts of things to accommodate my kids in various rigs, when they were younger. My buddies would tell "just get a bigger truck" but that isn't always in the cards, financially, particularly when your raising a family. Plus, I enjoyed the challenge.
Building stuff is a way of life

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
Looks like good work!  What are you using for the mounts on your front seats?  Looks like you have a flip up system in place.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
The front seats are next on my list to re-do.  Thinking like a parent, I wanted the front seats to slide on the sliders and rock forward. it works "okay" but I don't like the way they look (each side is different to adapt to stock mounts) and they are a bit on the flimsy side for my liking.  I have some fabrication resources now that weren't available to me when I originally did the mounts, so I think I can get creative with a new and more secure mount for the fronts.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
How much is this going to effect the tires in the well?

Offline FBJR

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
I also have 3 little riders and am adding a rear roll bar. These thing are light and we are adding weight about as high as you can get it!

Keeping the kiddies in is great, keeping them safe "priceless"  ;)
I think I had a motorcycle that was heavier!!