Hello Guest

I installed my rev. switch now it wont go in rev.

• 6 Replies

Offline my88samurai

I installed my rev. switch now it wont go in rev.
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I have an 88 samurai 5-spd. I just replaced the reverse switch and went to back it out and it wont go into reverse now. Does the tranny need to be in a certain gear when i put the switch in? It came with no directions. and help is appreciated thanks!

Offline weldboy

• I'm only here for the carnival atmosphere !!!
Re: I installed my rev. switch now it wont go in rev.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
You could always pull the switch back out and test it.

Offline my88samurai

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »
That what i'm gonna do tomorrow. I just didnt know if there was a trick like it having to be in reverse or something when you screw it in so it bottoms out on something.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
No, the tranny doesn't need to be in any certain gear, when you install the switch.  I would put it in any gear other than reverse, when installing the switch (being in R, may make it harder to screw the switch in).
Some aftermarket switches have switch buttons on them that are too long and it will actually bind up the shift rail and make it hard, or impossible to shift into R.  At least that I what I have read/heard...never experienced it myself.
You could try unscrewing the switch a turn or two and trying R again.  If that fixes the problem, then you could either get a different switch, or put a washer between that switch and the tranny housing, so it can't screw in as far.  If you put a washer in, you just have to make sure you have the switch in far enough that it will still activate, when you shift into R, but not too far as to bind up the shift rail.
Also, as suggested, it might be a good idea to remove the switch and see if you can physically push the little button on it in with your finger, just to make sure the switch isn't stuck.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:09:02 PM by Skyhiranger »
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:08 AM »
I just troubleshot my lack of reverse lights to a bad switch on my Sidekick. One item that may be overlooked is the old switchs "O"ring could be left on the trans and when the new switch installed it can force the old "O"ring down and jamb the rail ball. Are the reverse lights on constantly? Just something to also consider and look at
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....

Offline my88samurai

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
I took the switch out and it went back into rev. no problem. Then i screwed it in while it was in neutral and now the switch is bottomed out and it goes into rev. But the rev lights still dont work so i took out the switch an tested it and it was bad. I ordered another one an hope i get it on sat. I will let ya know if it works.

Offline my88samurai

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »
Ended up puting a new switch in. Had to grind the button on the bottom alittle bit to match it up to the factory one. Works great now. So happy has tormented me for days!!!  Thanks for the help guys!