Hello Guest

Toyota Engine in a 98 Samurai

• 9 Replies

Toyota Engine in a 98 Samurai
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
Im about to put a Toyota 3c engine in my Suzuki Samurai. Im wondering if anyone knows offhand if I will run into any problems with using my original gearbox.... I would love any input from someone who has put a toyota engine in a Samurai already. Thanks

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Toyota Engine in a 98 Samurai
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:01:13 AM »
If you can get an adapter and modified flywheel it should work fine.  Most people will just swap the entire Toyota drive-train when they go to the Toyota engine.  One reason the 1.6 conversion, and by extension the 2.0, is so popular is it is an all Suzuki swap and has been done often enough most of the kinks are worked out.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »
OK. Thanks alot. Will try to update with some pics.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:04 AM »
Do you have a 2wd transmission for that Toyota engine?  It might be easier to just run a Toyota transmission into the divorced transfer case.  I have seen people run a Nissan setup with success online.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline marko

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:52:12 AM »
I'm planning on doing the exact same with my '86 sammy, I have a '82 3tc with the T50 speed. From much searching on the net, this is what I've found.
The 3tc/5speed is quite a bit longer than the zuki engine/tranny, requiring the engine to be mounted a bit further ahead, and possibley moving the t-case back a bit, to allow adequate driveshaft length. Weight is probably around 100 pounds more or so than stock. Gear ratios in the t50 are very close to zuki, not quite as low in 1st, but close. Others are very close. Easy to bump up power in the 3tc, without going nuts. It should be pretty easy to get 110 hp or so, without much expense and without loosing low-end torque.
To my way of thinking, it is the best Toyota engine to use...fairly light, more power, but not so much to stress running gear, readilly available parts in junkyards, etc., smaller than 20r/22r, and easier to cool. A grat reputation for reliability.
What I think would be truly ideal would be to find a way to adapt the 3tc to a 2wd sidekick 5 speed ( stronger than sammy, short, and set for divorced t-case ).  using the 3tc clutch, bellhouseing, etc. But I've reached a dead-end so far. There is an outfit in Australia ( Dellow conversions ) I've been trying to e-mail to see if they make an adaptor, but my e-mails have not gone through ( maybe 'cause I use the 'putor at work, and it may have "blockers"???). Oh, I plan on using the "doner" Corolla hydraulic clutch, others have done the same. I"m new to this site, not sure of some of the rules, so if you pm me, I can refer you to other sites that have info. I don't want to step on any toes on this site. Also, with a $100 adaptor plate a 3tc engine/clutch/bellhousing can be adapter to the stronger "W" series 5 speeds, used in celica's & trucks. But they are still long, however. Mark

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »
You can post to other sights, otherwise we won't be able to find them.  :)

It would be interesting to see your setup when done, but at 110hp your right in the same range as the 1.6L 16v from a Sidekick/Vitara and quite a bit behind the 2.0L and 2.3L Suzuki engines.

As for the clutch, I have read about people installing a hydro setup to replace the stock clutch cable, but didn't pay all that much attention.  I still run the stock 4 speed.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline marko

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »
As far as other sites, www.3tc.com has  lots of archive info on the engine. When first introduced as a 1600cc (2tc) they were rated at 102hp, these have the best factory intake ( "5-finger"), best distributor (timing/advance ). Head is best, no egr, and air-injection ports are either factory plugged, or not existing. Real good exhaust manifold.
In 1980 stroked to 1800cc. This crank can be fitted to earler engine with some block work. Same size combustion chambers, valves, etc. Now rated at 70hp. YUK. But by simply upgrading to earlier intake, timing, exhaust, etc., 110hp or so, with much more available. Never factory made with F.I.
www.zuwharrie.com  archives show several 2tc/3tc swaps, using the corolla 5 speeds ( also made with 4 speed, same length ). 4 speed and 5 speeds have different tailshaft spline counts.
What impresses me about this series of engines is the utter simplicity..pushrod, 2 valve, crossflow. Toyota engineers were obviously seriously influenced by Chrysler hemi, in their early print ads, they showed a top fuel dragster and a funny car, with blown hemi's, touting the Corolla as their "mini-hemi". Not saying it is better, or worse, than Suzuki engines, but maybe more "American", expecially in appearance, with that cool, wide valve cover with the plugs going in from top, into tubes. There is also u-tube footage of a radical 3tc in a sammi.  Mark

Offline marko

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:08:00 AM »
I should have said that www.3tcgarage.com is the site where much engine info is available. Sorry for the confusion.
Mark

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »
Hey Everyone, thanks for all the input.

I've actually switched to a Toyota 4A fe... which has proven to be headache free. It basically bolted right up. No plate for the bell housing...just welded a few extensions pieces so that i could mate the gearbox with the engine.
I've added a few pics to a gallery i created and will keep you posted.
I still recommend the 3tc if you want to go diesel. ( Which is still an option for me ) This engine just came to me magically and as i said it was much less hassle.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »
Diesel is fun, I have kept my eye out for an Isuzu diesel just in case I decide to take the plunge.

Keep us updated, or create a build thread.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing