Hello Guest

Power Window Issue - 1994 4dr Sidekick

• 2 Replies

Offline krazy

Power Window Issue - 1994 4dr Sidekick
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
Hi everyone,  great forum!

I recently purchased a 1994 4dr sidekick with power windows and door locks. Everything worked fine but all of a sudden the right front and back windows will not work from any switch (their own or the one on the driver side and console). Not very good electrical stuff but willing to try but don't want to pull too much apart if I don't need to. Given that they were working and now just the right ones won't can anyone suggest where i might start trouble shooting?

TIA
Rob

Online fordem

Re: Power Window Issue - 1994 4dr Sidekick
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:49:57 PM »
For a '94 I'd start with the switches themselves - I've looked at several different makes of vehicle and in my experience the problem is usually a dirty switch - and yes - one faulty switch can cause both switches to stop working.

Start with the individual door switch - it can usually be pried out of the door with a small screwdriver and then very carefully disassembled and cleaned, they are plastic and snap together - this doesn't need electrical skills as such, more the ability to take things apart and reassemble them, without breaking them - usually you'll find a set of contacts that look scorched or blackened, I use a very small wire brush in a rotary tool and then finish up with a switch cleaning spray.

The switch cleaning spray by itself works, but the problem will come back in a year or so.

Please bear in mind that it could also be a broken wire or even a defective motor, but in my experience, the switches are the most likely cause.

The above does not hold true for all power window systems, but Suzuki used a very basic control system up until around 2002/2003 after which they complicated it with a microprocessor - other manufacturers went the microprocessor road much earlier.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline krazy

Re: Power Window Issue - 1994 4dr Sidekick
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
Thanks Fordem!  :laugh:

Pulled out the passenger side switch for a look see ... it is very loose but if I hold it in the exact right position I can get that window to go up and down .... will try to find a used switch in better condition to replace it with.