Hello Guest

Help! Chasing samurai gremlins

• 4 Replies

Offline Jrod2085

Help! Chasing samurai gremlins
« on: July 09, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
 I've got a 88 Samurai that is just not wanting to cooperate.  I've put a Weber 32/36 carb on, new Carter electric fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator (set at 2.5 psi), and Accel coil on.  It's idleing fine except for a minor miss.  When I try to drive it around it runs out fine until about 40 mph in 4th gear.  It begins to spit and sputter pretty violently forcing me to downshift.  If I pull it out if gear it'll die.  Usually I can limp it home in 2nd about 20 mph.  If I turn it off a few minutes it will do it all over again.  I've also put new plugs in, but haven't replaced the wires, cap or rotor yet.  I'm pretty well stumped on where to go next.  Any suggestions?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Help! Chasing samurai gremlins
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
You might want to check the jets in the carb, as well as the float
level and needle condition

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
Was this a NEW IN BOX Weber Carb for an Samurai specific ??? or a Generic Weber carb ?? or a Swap Meet Bargain Special ????

Mine swapped on with just a very minor idle mix adjustment.

Did you close off all the Vacuum ports after you eliminated all the "pollution crap" not needed with the Weber Carb set-up????
Did you keep the original air Cleaner or go to the Weber Air Filters ??? (If You bought the "Keep the original air cleaner" kit:......
I can help you to get it to "Breath Better") (Also I can help you with a little VERY MINOR porting trick to boost your HP)

CAPT

Offline Jrod2085

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
It was a brand new carb kit for a Samurai that I chose to keep the factory air box for .  The mix was pretty close out of the box, but I did adjust it more to my liking.  All unused vac lines and ports have been removed or plugged. 

Offline Capt

• LIFT IT ! .......Fat Chicks CAN'T JUMP !!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
I will try to find the pix I took for a Buddy of the
Air Box adaptor mod I did and post them here for you.
Give me a little time, I am living out of suite cases & totes on a pipeline job.

CAPT