Hello Guest

AAL lift

• 12 Replies

AAL lift
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
My sami is bone stock as far as suspension is concerned. I want to do an AAL lift and new longer shocks but NOT the SOA swap. My goal is to get a bit more lift but keep cost down.

I understand this is NOT the most performance minded mod I can do, but just a quick cheap way to lift my truck a few inches.

Later I may do the SOA swap when I have more money and time.

Anybody have experience with AAL on the sami?

Thanks
86 Sami STOCK!! but I just got started.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: AAL lift
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
Can you help me with that acronym? I don't recognize what AAL stands for...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline ASI H8

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
If you are looking for a slight lift without the abusive ride and don't want to go with a spring over, spend the money on a quality spring lift such as a 2" OME lift or 3" Deaver lift from Rocky Road Outfitters. Doing an AAL lift you will regret. They have an abusive ride and are only good for about 2" of lift and will definitely leave you wanting more....
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I was just wondering since I didn't see them mentioned much on the site. Shackles usually cause axle wrap. Anybody experience that when useing shackles on the sami?

Most 4x4 sites for other trucks caution againts useing shackles too long for this reason. I have never used shackles but have used AAL with good results on bigger trucks.

Long term I plan to go with a complete new spring pack maybe 3" lift and maybe body lift if I want more???? But doubt I will want more than three?

Offline tuxblacray

• Building a Bigger Better Brute Samurai.... B-}
    • Tuxblacray Photos
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:29:47 PM »
Typically an add a leaf will provide you a gain of 1.5" - 2". These additional springs help to reclaim arch in the springs. Most of the time these are sold for spring repair.

If you are wanting some minor lift there is nothing wrong with add a leafs springs. I recently installed a set on a 98 Chevrolet 4wd Scottsdale truck. They gave the truck about 1.5" lift and the owner was pleased with the "new" stance of the truck. I also installed new shocks, steering damper, and a set of 32" BFG AT Radials on the truck at this time.

All said and done the truck looked GREAT and road / drove just fine. It did ride a little stiffer but nothing bad by any means. Although, I am in no way saying that the short wheelbase of a Sammy will ride as nice in comparison. My guess is it won't be much worse than any other lift but will still be a noticable difference.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:55:59 PM by tuxblacray »
I know the voices aren't real.... but they have some pretty kewl ideas!!! Tux.....  ;-)
I get my Sammi parts here, and you can too... http://www.mikodaindustries.com/http://stores.ebay.com/sticksnstones4x4samuraiparts

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »
Thanks,
My springs have really sagged over the years. I don't need performance as much as I want it to look better. Light trails is all I will ever "OFF-ROAD" on.

here she is, like my tag?  HMMWV

I can't go too high with the lift because I keep it in that little shed
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:17:06 PM by DoorKicker »

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
Dang nice sammi!!   ;D
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline Jluck

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »
back when I was building land cruisers I ran many add-a-leafs, I got the long thin ones vs. short thick ones and removed the factory spring closest in length. it worked very well but I dont know if that a option for a Sammy
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:46 AM »

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
If you're going to be mostly on road with mild off road, then do yourself a favor and improve the ride. My first choice would be OME springs. Much nicer ride and 1 1/2" to 2" lift. Another option is the Calmini shakle reverse. Again about 2" of lift and a way nicer ride. Longer shakles {2' lift max) are OK but your ride will still be the same. Add a leafs might be alright on a heavier vehicle but you will beat yourself up on a light weight Sammy IMHO

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
back when I was building land cruisers I ran many add-a-leafs, I got the long thin ones vs. short thick ones and removed the factory spring closest in length. it worked very well but I dont know if that a option for a Sammy

Yea, just call Hawk Suzuki Parts, they can send you the long #2 spring out of a spring pack.  That is what I run on the front of my SJ-410.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

Yea, just call Hawk Suzuki Parts, they can send you the long #2 spring out of a spring pack.  That is what I run on the front of my SJ-410.

Good idea, I may give this a try....