Hello Guest

Using Front Diff in Rear Axle-'87 Sammi

• 6 Replies

Using Front Diff in Rear Axle-'87 Sammi
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »

I have an '87 Sammi w/ a noisy differential gearset.

I obtained a used front axle. The axles have 22 splines.

I understand the rear axles have 26 splines.

How big a hassle is it to swap the rear side-gears into my front 3rd member so I can use the front gearset?

Any adjustments necessary or since I am using the entire 3rd member do the gears stay properly adjusted?

Bob

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Using Front Diff in Rear Axle-'87 Sammi
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »
The side gear swap is easy, just set the backlash when you are
done with the swap with a dial indicator to about .008 and you
are done.

There could be some shims under the side gears, I think I would
keep those with the carrier and swap the gear only, I swapped
26s into the front of a Sidekick (same as both ends of a Sammy)
and just put them in, no changes

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
or a good time to add a traction aid with 26's ;D
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:00:38 AM »
If you mark the side adjusters (the things with all the holes in them at the side of the carrier), and count the number of turns it takes to remove them, then you can set the backlash back exactly to where it was before, without having to use any "special" tools.  Other than that, it is just a matter of disassembling everything, swapping sidegears and reassembling everything (being sure to properly torque and locktight the bolts).  Do not mix up the side adjusters or the bearing races.....put the same one back from where it originally came from.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
If you mark the side adjusters (the things with all the holes in them at the side of the carrier), and count the number of turns it takes to remove them, then you can set the backlash back exactly to where it was before, without having to use any "special" tools.  Other than that, it is just a matter of disassembling everything, swapping sidegears and reassembling everything (being sure to properly torque and locktight the bolts).  Do not mix up the side adjusters or the bearing races.....put the same one back from where it originally came from.

Sounds like a winner. It would get me into the close-ballpark really quickly.

Thanks, all for the great answers.

I have the axles out of the donor front axle assembly (Anyone need parts?) but haven't pulled the 3rd member yet, but
I have the picture in my mind much better now.

Bob

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »

I have the axles out of the donor front axle assembly (Anyone need parts?) but haven't pulled the 3rd member yet, but

Bob

It won't get you in the ballpark, it will set the backlash back to exactly where it was before.  No need to reset/check anything....but you can, for peace of mind....if you choose to.  Personally, I always check it, just because I have to tools to do so (dial indicator and magnetic base).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »

Bob

It won't get you in the ballpark, it will set the backlash back to exactly where it was before.  No need to reset/check anything....but you can, for peace of mind....if you choose to.  Personally, I always check it, just because I have to tools to do so (dial indicator and magnetic base).

That's what I meant. I have a dial indicator and magnetic base, and I don't get to use it too often, so this is a great excuse!
It will re-check my counting of holes, and the intuitive "feel" of the gear backlash.
Thanks again-
Bob