Hello Guest

1995 V6 Escudo SWB susp lift,

• 6 Replies

Offline RUGARD

1995 V6 Escudo SWB susp lift,
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »
Hey Guys im new here and just after a lil info, im about to lift my SWB zook using LWB cobra springs, running aftermarket front shocks, and std rears which i might change, what ones are best to use without having to muck around with the handbrake cable. also having trouble understanding the strut cap flip in the front. Can someone please expalin to me? Ive read the old thread here but pics would be good, also do i have to buy parts for a cap flip? cheers in advance,

Shayne New Zealand

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: 1995 V6 Escudo SWB susp lift,
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
The mounting flange on the strut top is offset compared to the rubber so when you flip it it drops the strut down around 3/4". Personally I didn't think it looked right and it didn't provide enough drop for my 2" lift so I used strut top spacers.
You should definately use longer rear shocks and a heim joint spacer as well if you go for more than 2" longer rear shocks.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »
 Depending on how much the cables have to stretch, you might have to unbolt them from the body tub. Do this when you lift up the rear to "test" check what flex you have vs. what is holding you back...  like using stock shocks on a lift, and pay attention to the rear upper links' pivot ball. You don't want to bind and then seperate that one. $$$  I am running KYB adjustables for a 91 Crown Vic in the rear, with the fronts being for an 86 Dodge Colt Vista wagon 4x4. I had to remove the coil bucket to get them to fit, but they were cheaper than stock replacements and have almost a full 2.25" extra travel on the downstroke.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
Depending on how much the cables have to stretch, you might have to unbolt them from the body tub. Do this when you lift up the rear to "test" check what flex you have vs. what is holding you back...  like using stock shocks on a lift, and pay attention to the rear upper links' pivot ball. You don't want to bind and then seperate that one. $$$  I am running KYB adjustables for a 91 Crown Vic in the rear, with the fronts being for an 86 Dodge Colt Vista wagon 4x4. I had to remove the coil bucket to get them to fit, but they were cheaper than stock replacements and have almost a full 2.25" extra travel on the downstroke.

Have you got any photo's of the Front Struts?  How did the shaft size compare to stock?  How is the ride?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:35:33 AM »
 Let me charge the camera up and I will see about some shots. The struts have the same diameter shafts, so no trouble there. I still need to get my brakes together (seized calipers and shot M/C from sitting still for 12 years!) after that then I can report back. According to my strut/shock catalog, the rates are near identical, the biggest difference being the USABLE length of the shaft. I have been simply building up as I can before I turn it loose, so hopefully breakage will be kept down.

Sorry about the threadjack, RUGARD.

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »
hey no worrys, thanks for your help, have done a cap flip now, may need extensions, i have packed out the area in the cap so its not just mounting on the lip of the cap, seems better that way.
also in the rear im currently making the spacer for the a frame ball link. dont wanna snap that!

Offline RUGARD

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
Is the cap flip safe does anyone know? or is it prone to collapse the other way round? (Flipped)