Hello Guest

82 SJ-410 build

• 86 Replies

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 82 SJ-410 build
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
You can only run a triangulated 4-link up front if your going to switch to a full hydro steering.  Even then I would recommend staying with a panhard bar if your going to be driving it on the road.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jordan

• Chrome don't get ya home, but it sure looks nice!
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
I'm still looking in to the front triangulated four link. And if I get it road legal it wouldn't be on the road much, but I would test it's high speed manners before I drove it far on the road. I'm thinking if I had a sway bar with quick Disconnects, and adjustable mounting points for the links to adjust the anti dive for on the road it would handle ok. But I will do some more research on it.

Thanks for your input Drone, and do you have a link to your SJ four link build? Couldn't find it on here.

82 SJ410: 5" lift (spoa), home made cross over steering, bestop, custom rust lots of it,33"tsl, 6.5:1's. To install: Toyota diffs being built. To build: roll cage, traction bar, bumpers.

89 sidekick: lift 2"suspension 3"body, 31's, aluminum rims, warn hubs, (4) lights on roof, turbocharger.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
Here you go:
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/build-diaries-how-to-diy/sj-410-rear-4-link-build

Your steering is going to dangerous at speed, mainly because you do not have any connection between your tires and the steering wheel.  Check with your local laws as well, most states require an auto-centering steering system.  But it can be done.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jordan

« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2012, 04:54:33 PM »
Thanks!

Ya I wouldn't go with hydro steering, but then theirs the bump steer problem ???, I've found a way around it but it would  be a lot of work to rig up the steering setup for it.
I'm going to do some more research on it, but I will probable just do the four link and panhard bar, it will be easer to design then a triangulated which will be good since this is my first time building a "link" suspension.

And I was looking at the front end and there should be room to have the panhard bar in front of the coil springs and the shocks beside the coils, it will be a close fit but not too bad.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:18:05 PM by Jordan »
82 SJ410: 5" lift (spoa), home made cross over steering, bestop, custom rust lots of it,33"tsl, 6.5:1's. To install: Toyota diffs being built. To build: roll cage, traction bar, bumpers.

89 sidekick: lift 2"suspension 3"body, 31's, aluminum rims, warn hubs, (4) lights on roof, turbocharger.

Offline Jordan

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
Well the Trailgear parts from North Shore Off Road are suppose to be here Monday(orderd them Feb 1st  >:(), and the coil springs and rod ends from Low Range should also be in on Monday  :) I still have to order the DOM tubing for the cage and links and find some Sami drive shafts, and then I should have all the parts I need!
Details (LR parts)...
Springs: Blue Coil 18"x2.5" ID 125lb inch rate, should be very soft so they will be compressd 4-5" at ride hight.
Rod ends: 3/4" heim joints at the diff and poly bushings at the frame, panhard bar will be the same.
What I have planed so far...
Diffs...
Front: complete rebuild, ARB air locker in a high pinion third with 5.29:1s.
Rear: complete rebuild, full spool and 5.29:1s.   
Drive shafts...
Sami shafts with spacers, and Tom Wood's once the wheel base is were I want it for sure.
Suspension...
Front: coiled 4 link with panhard bar, 5" up travel and 7" down.
Rear: stock leaf springs with longer shackles to level out the ride hight (till I link the rear ;)).
Steering...
Toyota IFS box and full high steer.
Brakes...
Four wheel disc, Toyota 1" bore master cylinder.

And that should hopfully do it for the yota swap, for now  ;).

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
Did your parts come in?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jordan

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »
The stuff from Low Range came yesterday, the other stuff didn't come in till today but the shipping place closed before I got off work, but I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. And I got the tires put on the new rims finally, I'll get some pic's of all the new parts when I get all of them.

Offline Jordan

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
Well I got the Trailgear stuff today! So far the only thing missing is one of the diff flanges with the Sami bolt pattern, I'll get some pictures of every thing in the next day or two.

Offline Jordan

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
Well I haven't got any pictures of the TG stuff yet, but I'll get some as it goes on the SJ ;)
Got the DOM tubing for the roll cage and front suspension links (127' of 1.5x.120 wall for tha cage and 22' of 1.5x.250 wall for the links, so their should be extra for rocker protection and stuff).
And now I can get the front suspension done :) and then start on the cage!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »
Nice.  What do you have for a tubing bender?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
  Hey Jordan, sounds like you have yourself quite a project.  Are you going to have a Zuk running for the Zookmeld on May 26th and 27th?  Same spot as last time.  Cheers
                                                            John

Offline Jordan

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
Nice.  What do you have for a tubing bender?
Thanks Drone, its a JD squared model 3 and a 1.5"x4.5" die.

Hey Jordan, sounds like you have yourself quite a project.  Are you going to have a Zuk running for the Zookmeld on May 26th and 27th?  Same spot as last time.  Cheers
                                                            John
Hi John, yeah it's turning into a big project that's for sure, but it'll be nice when it's done. Unfortunately it wont be done by the 26th of May and the sidekick's motor is shot, but if someone has room for a passenger I'd come down and ride along :).