Hello Guest

How to Install an Ill-Fitting BEST TOP HARD TOP on a 1998 Chevy Tracker

• 2 Replies

Offline umiami80

How to Install an Ill-Fitting BEST TOP HARD TOP on a 1998 Chevy Tracker

I am sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I couldn't find a 1990-1998 Tracker Thread and I wanted to voice my concern on this survived abortion of a hard top made by BEST TOP.

My Review of a BEST TOP  Hard top for my 1998 Chevy Tracker.

Well I must say it is damn near impossible to find these things in good condition of the color you wanted without paying over a thousand brand new and I found a guy locally.  He sold me the top with all the pieces for $200, I wish it was black but WHITE will have to do.

Lemy start with a couple of PICS.....

Let me say that this thing FIT LIKE DOG SHIT!!!!  Terrible.  First I will explain that the top that covers the driver and front passenger has to be centered precisely or both latches will not close from the inside.  I needed two people to get it on by sliding it back and forth a couple of times.

The top doesn't fit flush, not even close.  Take a look.

It doesn't leak so I guess it is only visually an issue, it does seal nicely.

The inside piece is great as it has a series rubber mesh pockets to use.  Very nice.

Now for the rear cap, a complete and utter train wreck to fit, not even close.  it didn't even pretend to fit.  It took me and three legit college degree Engineers to get it to fit.  The rear had to be custom shimmed with a piece of scrap wood and dremel too cut just right to fit as a spacerl.  The rear is held on by 4 metal clips that screw into the tracker after you take apart everything which includes both metal support bars and all the plastic strips which line the metal rear of the Tracker.  They weren't even CLOSE to lining up, we had to have one guy sit on top of the thing, two guys push EXTREMELY HARD on the side and one guy sit in the truck to twist in the knob which holds it to the truck.  Again the rear had to be propped up with shims. 

See the twisty knobs?  Not even close to lining up, the WHOLE ENTIRE support system needed a series of shims and washers (or in my case, wood as we ran out of shims)

Now after twisting and turning the cap to  FINALLY make it fit, THE F'ING REAR GLASS WOULD NOT CLOSE WITHOUT BEING CRUSHED BY THE REAR DOOR.  SO WHAT NOW?

That's right, more shims.  Look at how many.

And even with all those shims I have to be careful when closing the top, or else it'll get crushed.  I have to close the top with the door open and THEN clam both shut at the same time.  YUCK.

Last be not least is the top on the cap.

What I like about that rack is that it holds the front piece of the top, it clips right on and holds it on there, very nice design fro quick top off.  IDK how well it works because I haven't used it yet but it looks great.

Yes the rear has a defroster.  need to figure out how to hook it up.

Nice warning.

Grade as far as a fitment, D+.  The fact that it is on there isn't enough to fail this POS but man three hours to get it on, seriously.  It was like trying to force a square peg in a round hole.  I am afraid to take it off this spring in favor of the soft top for the hell it will be getting it back on.

Thanks for the space, beware of these BEST TOP hard top's.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: How to Install an Ill-Fitting BEST TOP HARD TOP on a 1998 Chevy Tracker
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »
In my experience, your experience is very common for this model of top. The plastic deforms if left off of a vehicle without support, especially if warm, and they are a bear to get back on and the rear glass usually doesn't close or fit correctly. One that is stored with support or a new one will fit much better. For others, when you're looking at one of these tops used, make note of the rear glass curvature. If the plastic shell doesn't match the glass, beware.

Thanks for sharing, -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline umiami80

Re: How to Install an Ill-Fitting BEST TOP HARD TOP on a 1998 Chevy Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
UPDATE!!!!

This past Saturday I have put my Hard Top back on and it went on so easy and this is why.

I went to the hardware store and purchased many washers to space of the rear of the cap so the glass clears the tail gate. 
When I took the cap off, I stood it up on it's side and then pressed down the other side so it was like in the closed position.  Last year when I put it on it was spread wide out so this year it went on in a snap.

Lesson learned.