Hello Guest

replacing distrubutor o-rings

• 4 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
replacing distrubutor o-rings
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »
Found this link a month ago from a fellow member, it is very helpful, more so than my FSM.
http://markb.smugmug.com/gallery/4606153_GPWWw#271666242_FGJMC
EDIT: 90 Tracker 2dr 1.6L 8v

But, can anyone tell me, when I assemble this, should I keep the o-rings DRY or put some motor oil on them?

I also plan on adding RTV to the housing (in addition to the new housing o-ring) to really seal the hell out of it.  I was told it would be a good idea.  Any thoughts on that too?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:49:12 AM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: replacing distrubutor o-rings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
Definitely put some oil on the oring on the shaft (both before you put it on and before you put the distributor in).
If you are going to use some RTV on the housing, then don't put any oil on that oring.  RTV won't hurt anything.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
RTV won't hurt anything.
What I figured  ;D I always do things "overkill" but I don't want this dang thing to spring a leak again...at least for a long time.
I got a bunch of parts moved out from under the car where it's been sitting...I'm about to start on these three things:
the 2 o-rings
rear main seal
remove/reseal oil pan
AND should be done with them tonight.  I'm just nervous about getting the distributor put back right...hope I don't mess with the timing
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »
As long as you mark the rotor position before you remove the disty and when you reinstall the disty you make sure the rotor is pointing back to exactly the same place it was before, you won't have any problem.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:54:06 AM »
So I read...but still cautious...I wouldn't want to deal with getting it all ironed out again when it runs so great as it is already...