Hello Guest

4wd conversion questions

• 2 Replies

Offline Twan013

• meh.
4wd conversion questions
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »
The long and short of it, I found a chevy tracker soft top, and figured it might be a fun little project.  its a 2wd, and I was wondering if a conversion would be as easy as the geo trackers?  I've read that they have all the mounts already on the vehicle, and its a direct bolt on..  but I wasn't sure about the chevy's

On a sidde note, I thought calmini had a bolt on SAS for the geo/chevy tracker.. but I couldn't find it on their site... what happened with that?

Online fordem

Re: 4wd conversion questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
A Chevy Tracker & a Geo Tracker are essentially the same vehicle, separated either by the year of manufacture or the country of sale.

During the early years of production the same vehicle that was sold in the US as a Geo Tracker was sold in Canada as a Chevy Tracker, and at some point (I believe in '98) the Geo brand was dropped altogether and Chevy Trackers were offered in both Canada & the US.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
Re: 4wd conversion questions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:21:35 AM »
As this is in the 2nd Gen section, I assume you mean a '99-on Tracker, which is the same as the Suzuki Vitara in the US and Canada?

If so, the Vitara has the front diff mounts attached to the frame, irrespective of whether it is a 2WD or 4WD.  That is from the Parts Catalogue.

But the rear prop shafts are different between 2WD and 4WD.

On the plus side, the gearshift consoles are the same - just remove the blanking tray from the 2WD for the transfer shifter.

Don't forget you will need the 4WD Controller (electronic box) from under the dash, and the air pump from behind the front bumper.  The speedos seem to be the same.  The engine harnesses are different, and, of course they differ between AT and MT and engine size as well as year.  If you don't want those complications, you can disable the pneumatic clutch and fit manual freewheel units - there are threads on this board.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.