Hello Guest

Samurai 1.3 rough idle - MAYBE I figured it out - ANY ADVICE?

• 10 Replies

Ok I have a 86 samurai 1.3, I start it up and she runs at high idle nice and smooth however when she warms up it begins to idle rough when I rev it up she revs up smooth and when the rpms come
down the thing damn near dies sometimes it does and sometimes it'll catch and keep on running at a rough idle. Now I've read other posts similar to this and couldn't find anything like this. Please let me know if you have any advice thank you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:48:53 PM by FrenchB85 »

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Samurai 1.3 rough idle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Turn the idle speed up to about 800, and clean the carb, probably
got some dirt or buildup, you could try in the tank gas treatment
for injectors or some sea foam, but over all if it's dirt clogging the
idle fuel circuit that stuff won't help much

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »
Thank you for your advice, although I am fairly new to Suzuki samurai's, where would I turn up the idle at?

Offline tkmehomeplease

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
There is an idle screw on the carb.  Kinda at the back side of it. not sure if i have a pic ill look though

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
Well I'll try that when I get home from work hopefully it works...

Online ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
I've also noticed that it runs a little smoother and quieter when the clutch is engaged what could this be?

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
well this is what ive done, I turned the idle up a bit but not for sure if its at 800 or not because I dont have a portable tach. and Ive also gone through the chilton and checked a few things and I THINK it may be the Air Control Actuator and Damper Valve. The book states that the valve should be open when the engine first starts and should begin to close as the engine warms up allowing cool air to pass through the intake. so when the engine was warm I felt and the valve was still open. so I disconnected the ACA and reved her up and she didnt alsmost die when it idled down Sooooo maybe I figured it out orrrrr maybe it just started working again I dont know. There are four numbers written on the head that read 180 175 150 and 180 im assuming that is the compression of the cylinders when someone checked it. the book states that there shouldnt be a no more of a 14.2 difference in cylinders sooo does this mean I need a rebuild?? cause she runs great going down the road soo I dont know?? any help?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Samurai 1.3 rough idle - MAYBE I figured it out - ANY ADVICE?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 07:47:07 AM »
Adjust the valves, and check the compression, tho the #s are
over 14 apart, overall the numbers look good, I would not rebuild

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline tkmehomeplease

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
Yea dont break it unless its fixed kinda thing.. Adjust the valves and keep her going.  I know what you mean on the stupid part your talking about.. But its designed for when you start your sammie it pulls the  air from the little air pipe coming from the exhaust header. Thus pulling warmer air and help running smoother during start up.. When it gets warm the vacuum is suppose to change it over to your normal intake..

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
Thanks for the posts, it's good to hear that a rebuild is not reccomended that's a big relief. I'll get out the chilton and look into adjusting the valves and get on that this weekend. Thanks again I appreciate the help I'd be lost without this site.