Hello Guest

Strange Idle Issues

• 6 Replies

Strange Idle Issues
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
Hello everyone, I am knew to the Samurai Forums, and I just bought a Samurai and need serious help.

I bought a Samurai yesterday in Sacramento.  When I saw it the rig ran very well, idled well and was problem free.  I let it warm up and everything ran very smoothly.  I drop it about 30 minutes since I live 2 hours away.  I drove it about 30 minutes and stopped and grabbed a bite to eat.  I was there for about 30 minutes and when I went to the car it started up and idled perfectly fine.

I got in the car and drove it another hour and 30 minutes home.  When I got home in San Jose, it wouldn't come down for 3k RPM.  Now every time I turn the Rig on it idles very high and very very rough.  The entire engine shakes violently when it's idling, but it still drives perfectly fine.

Can someone please help me, I just spent 2k dollars I scrounged up and I really do not want to return the rig.  I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me.  Thank you.

Offline crgm101

Re: Strange Idle Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Well i am guessing its a 1.3 carbed motor and at a long shot check your pcv valve mine was doing something similar and hat fixed It. just plug it up for now to see if it runs better.

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:57 AM »
"plug it up" what do you mean? actually plug the PCV?
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »
"plug it up" what do you mean? actually plug the PCV?

If you want to try plugging it off do so at the manifold end. Plugging it at the rocker cover can end up with oil being blown past the seals an into the cylinders, the block has to breathe.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline crgm101

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »
i meant right at the top of the pcv valve just disconnect the breather tube and use a small rubber plug to cover it leave the valve cover tube free to breath to the airbox sorry

Offline oak_raid

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »
having similar problem with my sammy.  Interested to hear more ideas or possible solutions.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
Turns out that the rod that the coolant lines go into for the Choke, isn't pushing down, so the throttle isn't going all the way to the seated position.