Hello Guest

Samurai Gearing Question

• 6 Replies

Samurai Gearing Question
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
I know there is alot of write ups on this already, and i am sorry for another one!! I am not very good at understanding diffs ??? So right now i have stock gears with lock-right lockers in the front and rear, i got 2 tracker 3rds for really cheap, which is 5.13 gears. now what exactly do i have to do to use them? with the lockers do i still have the 4 pins? if i understanding right i can weld the pins in and all i would have to come up with is a spacer? correct? thanks for the help!!!!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Samurai Gearing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »
Did you get two front 5.12 3rds or is it a front and a rear?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
i got 2 fronts

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
well the hole story goes i bought 2 samurai axles with these gears in them, the front had a locker and chromo shafts but the housing has been smashed, and the rear was welded, well the rear was junk so he gave me a extra 3rd front out of a tracker. the rear that is in my sami has stock gears with a locker. so i swaped the front over into my housing, and now i kinda stuck on the rear?? would like to use my locker but not sure if i can or what i would have to do??

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
I never could tell what the difference, or even if the is one between the front
of a Sidekick and the rear of a Sammy locker, I do know the Trail Tough has the rear
Sammy carrier that goes into the front of the Track/Kicks, because I have one,
but you might want to try putting the locker into the diffs and give it a go, the
biggest problem I see for you is setting up the gears right, if you take the gears
out of the front Track/Kick diff and put them into your 3rd member, I would take
the aluminum 3rd from the Track/Kick and put the locker into it, then just pop it
into the rear housing, check the side gears to make sure you have 26 splines too
and you should be good. Don't let the talk of weak aluminum 3rds from the Sidekick
worry you, it's not going to break in the Sammy, it's really only weak if you back up
hard with big tires when it's in the Sidekick from the mounting ear being pulled on

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
The stock Tracker front diff has a single pin carrier, you can't swap it over to the steel third member or install your locker in the Aluminum third member.  If you just want to run it open though you can swap the third straight into your Sammy as long as it is from a 96-98.  Otherwise you will need larger spline side gears.

What you need is the Carrier Pin Retaining Cans and a Basic Ring and Pinion Install Kit.  This will allow you to install the 5.12 gears into your existing Samurai third member.  You can get them from most of the retailers that advertise on this site, Low Range has an example at http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/samurai/axles.html

If the carrier is shot you will need a new samurai 3rd member.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »
alright, cool, thanks every one for the input, gonna try it out tonight!!!!! ::)