Hello Guest

SWAPING 1.6 16 VALVE ENGINE TO MY SIERRA

• 8 Replies

Offline Taimur

SWAPING 1.6 16 VALVE ENGINE TO MY SIERRA
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
Dear Friends,
I had successfully strecthced my Sierra. Now my existing 1.3 L engine is little weak and emitting blue smoke and burning engine oil. I have few options with me.

1. overhaul the exisiting one (1.3 8 valve EFI)
2. repalce with 1.3 L 16 valve
3. replace with 1.6 L 16 valve MPFI.

I have the option to get complete 1.6 vitara engine and transmission in almost same budget required for overhaul and also I am not satisfied with my 3 speed A/T. Please advise if its OK to replace my engine and transmission with 1.6 L engine and manula 5 speed transmission? How it will work in high speed. I have to travel around 150 KM on Highway while going for hunting trips.

What needs to be changed apart from engine and tranmission.

your valueable guidelines will be of great help.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: SWAPING 1.6 16 VALVE ENGINE TO MY SIERRA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:21 AM »
Dear Friends,
I had successfully strecthced my Sierra. Now my existing 1.3 L engine is little weak and emitting blue smoke and burning engine oil. I have few options with me.

1. overhaul the exisiting one (1.3 8 valve EFI)
2. repalce with 1.3 L 16 valve
3. replace with 1.6 L 16 valve MPFI.

I have the option to get complete 1.6 vitara engine and transmission in almost same budget required for overhaul and also I am not satisfied with my 3 speed A/T. Please advise if its OK to replace my engine and transmission with 1.6 L engine and manula 5 speed transmission? How it will work in high speed. I have to travel around 150 KM on Highway while going for hunting trips.

What needs to be changed apart from engine and tranmission.

your valueable guidelines will be of great help.

Since your Sierra is fuel injected, I'd suggest swapping in a 1.6 liter 8-valve engine. This swap is incredibly simple. You just unbolt your intake and exhaust system. Use one of the belhousing adapter kits to bolt the new 1.6 up to your transimission, then bolt up the intake and exhaust system. Start it up and go!

If you convert to 16-valve, you'll need to change all of the wiring that is involved with engine management. This is a lot more work.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
If you swap in a transmission from a Vitara you will need to widen your transmission tunnel on the Sierra.  The transmission is a bit wider then the stock SJ-413 one.  A 2wd transmission should have the same output shaft as the existing 3 speed A/T but you might want to double check.

Don't forget that you will need to add a clutch pedal and route the clutch cable if you swap from an A/T to an automatic.

Being in Pakistan how hard is it to get parts from the US?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Taimur

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
mostly I have seen people swaping 1.6 engines bolting sami tranmission by using adapter kits. I am a little confused as we don't have any such practice here. Whenever we go for upgrade, we change engine and transmission boht.
Please explain me how it works?
Whcih vehicle clutch and flywheels are used?
If you use sami's clutch and flywheel, whouldn't it go underpower as Viatara has a larger clutch and pressure.

Offline Taimur

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Today I cam accross a G 13 B engine. its 1.3, 16 vavle DOHC engine. as per my knowledge, it came in SWIFT GTI. pls. advise if anyone swaped in this engine in a samurai.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »
Today I cam accross a G 13 B engine. its 1.3, 16 vavle DOHC engine. as per my knowledge, it came in SWIFT GTI. pls. advise if anyone swaped in this engine in a samurai.

Yep, that can be done too. As for putting a 1.6 engine to the 1.3 transmission, take a look at our archive section. We have some articles that have some pictures but we've never done an article on the swap itself because it's that common and easy to do. It really is the easiest way to go and an incredibly common swap here. In your situation with the current fuel injection, you could get a 1.6 8-valve engine and one of the adapter kits from Trail Tough, Petroworks, or Calmini and do the swap complete in one day.

Hope that helps, -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Taimur

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:25:56 AM »
I have gone through with swap. I have swaped 1.6 L 16 V with stock 1.3 transmission. We don't have conversion kits so used a custom built. No doubt its amazing. I never drove such a nice machine ever before.

Thanks a lot for your help and useful information. 

Offline warbird

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:18:21 AM »
Just curious, What tranny did you decide on, an A/T or an M/T?

Offline Taimur

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
5 speed manual.