Hello Guest

install of Jeff1997 coil spacers on 2002 vitara

• 7 Replies

Offline brantr83

install of Jeff1997 coil spacers on 2002 vitara
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
ok to start, lift on stands and get your wheels off! If you need help with this part, DONT do the rest!

Start with the rear:
1) support the axle with the jack and remove the lower mounts to the shocks.
2) let the shock down SLOWLY making sure no lines or hoses get pinched or stretched! You may have to unclip your brake line holder, just pull the clip and let
the line pull through.

3) you may have to pull your axle down more to get your coil out. you shouldn't have to use a coil spring compressor  here, your lines should have the slack.
4) remove your coils and put your spacer on top
5) reinstall your coils! make sure you have longer shocks or your lift will be just for Mall-Crawling with no room for movement.

Now we can start with the front.
1) remove your brake line clips. one is on the strut at the base and one in just up the line. both should be removed to let the line hang freely.

2) take off your steering tie-rods. its a 17mm nut and make sure you take the nut all the way off and then put back on just 2 or 3 threads, DO NOT get tight!

( You can remove the tie rod by applying downward pressure on the rod and hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer to deform the hole just enough to let the tie rod fall out and letting the nut catch the tie rod )

3) remove your sway bar, its a 14mm nut to remove the end and two 12mm bolts to hold it onto the frame on each side. This step may not be necessary but it will help.
4) I had to loosen the A arm mounting nuts to get the suspension to drop enough for me but you may not have to do this. Its just two bolts a 17mm in front and a 19mm on the rear.
5) Take off your strut tower bar. 3 bolt on each side, make sure you spray with WD-40 or some lube.
6) put a jack under your A arm and apply pressure to the suspension.

7) Now you can break off or remove the 3 nuts that hold your strut up.
8) remove your strut and bearing plate.

9) take your bearing plate and cut off your 3 studs from the top and if you have it the aligning tit by grinding or cutting. and drill out the studs with a 13/32" drill bit.

10) lower your jack slowly making sure no lines or your CV axles don't get pinched or in a bind. I had to remove my drivers side axle from the housing, its held on by 3 bolts, no big deal.

11) with your suspension drooping, put your coil spring compressors on and let them go to work, but BE CAREFUL as they can and will slip and slide down the spring.
12) once your spring is out you can install your coil spacer and your compressed spring back into its place.

13) for the strut spacer, put the space on top of the strut bearing plate and use the three bolts to connect it all together, it doesn't matter how the bolts go in as long as they are in.
14) Next is the strut tower brace spacers, with the strut installed place your 3 spacers per side over the holes in the bearing plate and use the longer bolts supplied with the kit. remember bearing plate, spacer then brace. i know this is hard to understand, but you can do it!

TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT CUT CORNERS! This kit is well made and easy to install. If i made it sound hard its just cause i wanted to cover most everything i encountered when doing this install.

Offline TopHeavy96

Re: install of Jeff1997 coil spacers on 2002 vitara
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »
Nice write-up man! ;D
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline Jluck

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »
lets see the finished product!
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline brantr83

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »

Trying to settle the springs

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
Coupla things:

1)  When loosening the brake lines, also loosen the ABS sensor wires.  
2)  Dropping the steering rack (4 bolts) makes bending down the A-arms a LOT easier.

Also, I was really hoping to see how you pulled the stock spring insulator from the top cup to place it between the spacer and the spring.  Never have succeeded myself.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:06:52 PM by beercheck »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline brantr83

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
i was able to just separate the tie rod end from the spindle itself, its two nuts (one on each side). and with the spring insulator, it just came right out with a firm grip and twist.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:22 PM »
did it need an alignment after/ am getting this very kit Awsome write upby the way will follow this to the letter

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
did it need an alignment after/ am getting this very kit Awsome write upby the way will follow this to the letter

Yes, you will absolutely need an alignment afterward.  However, if you keep the front spacers to 1-1/2" (2" lift), there won't be any need for hole-slotting or special alignment bolts or anything like that.  Regular, run-of-the-mill alignment that any shop can handle at normal cost.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:13:31 PM by beercheck »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com