Hello Guest

HELP! battery over charging, no headlights,static coming out of speakers,

• 3 Replies

Offline shade

2000 chevy tracker 4x4 2.0i don't know really what happened i was doing a haul about 140 miles and the battery stated leaking, checked to see if it was over charging and it was not. then on the way home at about 30 miles the thole thing when to heck. the head lights wont work, only have half of the dash lights, the tacker wont start with out a jump and sitting on the cables for 15 mins, there is static coming out of the speakers after the fuse was pulled, i had to pull the wiper fuse to keep them form coming on randomly, the good news is that the battery stopped leaking after all this.
please some help here guys i have no idea what to do, cant afford to pay a mechanic to find out and do the work, and this is my only vehicle
brian
shade
312 622 2617

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Your battery is LEAKING? First things first, if it stopped leaking, that probably means it's leaked out all it's fluid, which means it's done for, crapola, lead recycling time. Get some baking soda and mix up a solution of water and BS to dilute the spilled acid IMEDIATLY if you don't want it to rot through your battery mounting area, and everything else it spilled on. Remove that old battery NOW!!!!! Clean up the mess, make sure you get ALL the acid diluted, and replace the battery with a known GOOD one. Then you can begin to test the system begining with the alternator to see if it's putting out the correct voltage. If it is over charging, you'll need to replace the alternator as the regulator is built in to it. Once you install a new battery you can always go to a local auto parts chain like auto zone, or whatever you have, and they'll usually test the charging system for you. Clean that shit up first!!!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline shade

ok i got out the old battery and nutrelized the acid that it leaked put in a new battery and it started up but i still dont have headlignts, dash lights or radio working auto parts store closed right now. think its the voltregulater and the arlernater still? best guese will help

Offline oak_raid

If it was me, I'd get a voltage meter and see what kind of reading I get with the vehicle running.  If your reading are too high or too low, then replace the alt.  If they are ok, I'd start checking wiring and fuses for the reason your lights etc arent working.

I had an 84 toyota that I put the wrong alternator in by mistake some years ago.  When I started that truck, I blew every bulb in the truck (dash, blinkers, everything) and blew the radio, the computer, the igniter.....cost me almost $1500 to fix. 

The static coming from your speakers sound like a dead short somewhere.  Check your wiring.  Maybe when your battery leaked, the acid got onto the battery cable at the starter?  The static could also be a sign your alternator is overcharging.