Hello Guest

Hey, can my sidekick pull a Tent-trailer?

• 8 Replies

Hey, can my sidekick pull a Tent-trailer?
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Hey, i have a 93 suzuki sidekick 4 door 4x4 JX, and i was wondering if it will be able to tow a tent trailer, i think tent trailers weigh about 1500pounds

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
Re: Hey, can my sidekick pull a Tent-trailer?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
yes it can, we pulled a larger size one with ours just fine, went on long trips as well..............

i should mention it was  a stock truck at that point, never tried it lifted with larger tires..........
02' XL-7 1 Ton axles, dual t-cases 37's etc......
Trucks are built not bought*********

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »
depending on the trailer you have to watch out... you have to watch the loaded weight of the trailer. ive been looking for a smaller tent trailer for my kick to pull, but i go back to bc for my camping mostly so up and down large hills is normal.
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »
We pull a 1966 Apache Buffalo with our '96 Tracker (stock except for 225 tires).  It weighs about 800 lbs empty and when loaded it is probably about 100 lbs over the 1000 lb tow rating of the Tracker.

It does very well on the prairie, and struggles a bit on moderate hills.  We have had no problem with sway, even in very strong crosswinds.  

If you intend to pull a tent trailer, I recommend that you look for one within the capabilities of the truck.  Most modern tent trailers start at about 1300 lbs before options, and when loaded will be beyond the capabilities of your Sidekick.  There are some vintage trailers from a time before the RV industry bloated their products to the point that it takes a V8 SUV to pull one.  The Coleman Colorado is one that is popular and hard to find.  The Coleman Columbia from the mid '80's is a possibility, but just on the verge of being too heavy.  There are several CombiCamp models that you could tow.  There are several Apache models from the '60's and '70's that are very easily towable by a Kick, such as the Eagle, Falcon or Buffalo.  

There are a number of current models that are aimed primarily at the motorcycle market.  Check out Trailmaster.  

This is my Buffalo.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:41:00 PM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
all depends in the budget. If you are buying new there are plenty available that will be light enough for you to tow with no BIG problems. In the 80's there were some heavy ones built so try it before you buy it.

I had an old coleman (late 70's) that I towed with my samurai. I found out that rather than loading the trailor with the extra gear to load the samurai with as much gear as possible and make sure the ex-wife was with me (300lbs).

The first time out I loaded the camper for all the gear and jumped into the zuke with my little girl. The ex-wife was meeting us there. The road was very windy with some hills, I was very familiar with the road and this is probably what saved us.

I put all the weight in the trailor and headed out. We were going down this hill that had a decent turn and we were going around 70-80km/h (limit 90) and the trailor started to push the zuke. When I realized that it was going to push me into the ditch I slammed it in 3rd and slammed the gas pedal....we just made it out of the turn. My little girl was about 4 years old and when we were coming out of the turn she yelled out "wheeeee...can we do it again?"

On the way back the ex was with me and it was totally different. the truck pulled all the way and drove really good. I was under powered but it was managable. You've got the advantage that you are LWB and alot heavier. When you are looking at a trailor if the guy won't let you hook up and take it around the block then walk away.

I moved the trailor a few times for short distances with no problems and this is alot shorted than a samurai and with 800cc of pure power it really had to work.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

Offline jzap

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:15:11 AM »
(big edit)
the trailor started to push the zuke.
(big edit)

That is why I recommended keeping the weight WAY down.

When the trailer is too heavy and starts to push the tow vehicle, it is like the trailer is trying to  pass you and dragging the rear end around with it.  It usually happens on a downhill or emergency stopping situation and can be very difficult to control.

Keep the loaded trailer close to 1000lbs and you should be OK. 
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline jzap

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:01:42 AM »
Hey, Sidekick Kid,

If you are in the midwest, you may want to check out this one.  It sounds pretty good, and your Kick could definitely tow this one, even loaded with gear.  It only weighs about 500lbs empty.  It's about 50 miles west of Chicago.

http://www.apachepopups.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6650.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:03:13 AM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline zukimoo

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »
one thing to consider if you only find a heavy trailor and you really want to haul it. You install brakes on the trailor and then put the control box in the zuke. I've got a flaot and once in a while I have to move it around with my SJ413K.

The truck is not heavy enough to move the float even empty but with the brake control I can haul it with no problems. I got pulled over by DOT because I  had my LJ on the float and was hauling with the 413K and when I showed them the brakes they told me to be carefull and left me alone. I had loaded the LJ right and it wasn't making the truck drop in the rear, it had just the right amount of tongue weight. With the brake control you don't have to worry about stopping the trailor, it does it by itself.

Just remember to be carefull with ANY trailor, big or small and if you are not used to backing it up then go to a big parking lot with some cones or some friends old cars and practice with the trailor. When I was 13 and my dad said that it was time to learn to drive he got me to hook the trailor and told me that I'd need to be able to drive with that. I can back up a trailor anywhere...I got lots of practice.
85 SJ413K SUA, 30" BFG muds, 512's, lockers and DOHC soon...
81 LJ80, 800cc of pure power....Stock
06 Baja Buggy

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:10:08 PM »
one thing to consider if you only find a heavy trailor and you really want to haul it. You install brakes on the trailor and then put the control box in the zuke.

thats what im doing with my kick, im only wanting a 4x8 trailr size but ive been looking at throwing brakes on it just because i drive it in hilly areas.
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.