Hello Guest

Speedometer Cable Questions

• 2 Replies

Speedometer Cable Questions
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »
I just bought a really nice 96 Geo Tracker, but the speedometer isn't working. You can hear a weird grinding in the dash. The guy I bought it from says that he had a shop look at it & they claimed that the cable just needs replaced.

Who all has done it? Are there any tips or tricks to make it go smoother?

All the manuals I have tell me to dis-arm the airbag...do I really have to?

I know that the cable connects to the back of the speedo & to the transfer-case...but where exactly at on the transfer-case?

I have a parts Tracker that I will try to use the cable off of. It isn't a 4X4 and it has an auto in it. My new tracker is a 4X4 with the 5-speed in it. If that old cable work won't work, I've found one made by Dorman Part# DOR-03256 from RockAuto & the jeep4x4center.

I called the Chevy garage, they said $76 and it would be here Monday. Called Autozone, they can't get it. I called the Suzuki garage and they said $40-$45 and it would be here on Monday.

I wish someone would come-up with a reasonably priced cable that doesn't go bad so quick!!!

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
Re: Speedometer Cable Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
you posted twice

i answered your other one

Re: Speedometer Cable Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
Well, it ended up being the speedometer itself.  The shaft that control the needle was broken & the spring came unwound.  It was a pain in the butt but we finally got the issue resolved...kind of.

For awhile, the thing was making noise.  It finally went away after some driving time.  The needle wiggles a bit until you get up to highway speeds. 

A new problem has been detected.  The speedometer is now off.  If it says you're going 45, it is more like 55.  If it says you're going 25, it is more like 30.  When the other cable was rigged up, it seemed to be steady & not fluctuate.

I wonder if there is some sort of cailbration adjustment on these things???

Also, where all should I lube on these things??? 

I put some dry graphite around the base of the cable where it goes into the rubber sleeve.  Is there a place to lube in the back of the speedo?  Perhaps where the cable plugs into the little brass looking thing?  Or maybe around the outside diameter of the little brass thing?

Any ideas & help is much appreciated.

THANKS!!!