Hello Guest

clutch cable or clutch or pilot bearing

• 7 Replies

xkmail

clutch cable or clutch or pilot bearing
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:12:32 PM »
So a few weeks ago my 90 track got real hard to push into gear.
I adjust the cable down by the tranny and it helped for a few days.
Last night it got so hard to put it in gear when it did go and I had the clutch pedal to the floor the truck still rolled like I had the clutch out 1/2 way.
Now I got under and looked at it today, when my son pushes down on the clutch the fork on the cable maybe moves one inch.
I have about 1 1/2" of play on the fork and even adjusted that down, still, the fork moves only about 1".
I checked the cable and looked for obvious cracks/breaks/bends and all outside looks good.
hate to throw down $500 for a clutch job when it is only a $20 cable.
I do have the slight whining noise when going down the road and when I push in the clutch it goes away, but only a small noise.
I replaced the fluids in tran/transfer case and both axles too.
It was sitting for awhile and I just did the top end so i have no record of any other engine work.
Does not seem to be any rear main seal oil leakage either.
KB
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:14:17 PM by xkmail »

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: clutch cable or clutch or pilot bearing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
Have someone depress the clutch while you are looking at the cable (under the hood where it loops around from the fire wall and in front of the motor. It is probably kinking and needs to be replaced, if it's not, probably time for a clutch.

HTH,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

xkmail

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
I looked at that earlier I didn't see anything.
It's just weird how I adjsuted it, then it was fine for a week now gone again
kb

Offline sir lance

• I love my XL-7
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:08:59 PM »
the last lime i had a problem like that, one of the springs in the clutch disk came apart and fell between the pressure plate and the disk itself, even when you depressed the clutch the spring would stop it from doing so.....

but ya, every tracker/sidekick Ive owned and worked on, have needed a new cable at one point or another. pretty common.....

does your pedal feel real stiff?
02' XL-7 1 Ton axles, dual t-cases 37's etc......
Trucks are built not bought*********

xkmail

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
I got a cable today, it still has about zero feel.
 and yeah it looks like something internal.
Guess I have to tear it apart tomorrow

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:04:25 PM »
Fingers on the pressure plate are worn out, my guess.
Norcal
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:48:41 AM »
Check the linkage under the dash. Mine has literally torn apart twice now. Yhe design is weak and the metal is too. The constant movement and pressure just causes it to come apart. Mine has the hydrualic clutch but the linkage is probably similar. The pedal would push all the way down but the linkage would just give way about 1/2 way down.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

xkmail

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:21:52 AM »
I did notice that the little swivel end bearing on the old cable was a little smashed, but otherwise inspection yielded no tolerance or manufacturer related defects. :laugh: