Hello Guest

Help with AC on 98 kick

• 6 Replies

Help with AC on 98 kick
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:39:35 PM »
I've downloaded wiring schematics and troubleshooting from here: http://carfix.stufftoread.com/air-conditioning.html but still cannot find my problem.  My AC compressor does not kick on when i hit my AC button (the button lights up but only room temp air blows from vents). My AC is fully charged and contains dye to detect leaks but none were found. 

I am able to jump the compressor and get it to kick on and cold air blows from the vents while compressor is running.  Both AC relays under the hood seem to be okay, I swaped the relays with one another with the same result and even put in a new relay to see if the compressor would kick on. 

The pink wire on relay 4 is at 12V but the troubleshooting guide says it should be ground.  When I touch a test light to the pink wire the compressor kicks on and it goes to 5V. The guide says that the AC amp is detecting a fault if there is 12V on the pink wire.

I have checked all the wires on the AC amp and they all check out. 2100 ohms on the freeze thermisor wires. All the other wires checked out also.  Anything else I should be looking for?

Online fordem

Re: Help with AC on 98 kick
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:12:43 PM »
If the pink wire is at 12V it means the AC amp is not pulling it low to engage the compressor - when you connect the test lamp you are providing a path to ground which allows the relay to close.

Since you've checked the inputs to the amp - the likely culprit is a defective amp.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »
Is the condenser fan running when you throw the switch? Mine was doing the same thing, turned out to be the wires from the Condenser fan motor grounded out against the body work. They wore thru and caused the fault.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
The condenser fan is on a different circuit, controlled by a separate relay.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
The condenser fan always runs as soon as I turn on the car.  I thought that was normal but I guess not.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »
Fixed it!!!  I actually went to a local AC shop and had him check it out.  He said it was a bad AC amp.  I found one at a junk yard for $20 but it didn't work.  It was actually the temp switch on the thermostat housing was bad.  It was sending 13V to the AC amp which caused the condenser fan to keep running and the compressor to stay off.  Replaced the switch for $13 from autozone and it works like a charm.

The only thing now is that the AC doesn't come on when I start the vehicle but about 5 mintues later once the engine is starting to warm up alittle.  Is this normal?  Anything I'm missing?

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:37:16 PM »
No - that is not normal - at least, I've never seen it on any a/c equipped vehicle I've driven - BTW - I've no kick specific experience, but that diagram is very similar to the one for my Swift, and that is not how my Swift behaves.

Check the inputs back - especially that same temp switch - it's the only way the a/c amp would know the engine temps.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny