Hello Guest

enough Calmini...what about OLD MAN EMU?!?

• 14 Replies

Offline INGERSOL

• BIG, LONG, AND BLACK
    • INGERSOL.COM
enough Calmini...what about OLD MAN EMU?!?
« on: August 24, 2004, 08:10:13 AM »
OK, so we have in hand a 2003 Chevy Tracker (same as GV) in need of a lift.  Don't want to spend the big big bucks on the Calmini kit...but what about Old Man Emu kit from Rocky Road?

Does anybody have such a kit on their suzuki?  
Any complaints?
Were the springs & shocks stiff enough?
Were the shocks and stuts long enough?
Was the install relatively easy?
Is it worth the money?
If you had to do it over again, would you buy the same kit, old save the extra bucks and Calmini-ize you zuke.

I have nothing against calmini...already bought lots of their products.  But I really wonder if replacement a-arms and such are necessary for a vehicle that sees 80% street use and 20% trail use.
2003 Chevy Tracker
2.0 L Four Cylinder / 5-speed
Suzisport Headers
K&N Air Filter
Calmini Grill Guard / Tube Bumpers UK Factory Sunvisor RRO Coil Spacers Bridgestone Dueler Revo 235/75-15's

Offline 97TRAKIN

• Suzuki in Chevy clothing.
Re: enough Calmini...what about OLD MAN EMU?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 08:44:30 AM »
I rode in a TrackVit that had the OME Springs and shocks/struts on it, rides MUCH better than stock. You need to get camber bolts to get the alignment correct. You could also hog the struts top hole.

Offline INGERSOL

• BIG, LONG, AND BLACK
    • INGERSOL.COM
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »
You could also hog the struts top hole.  

What means this?
2003 Chevy Tracker
Suzisport Headers
K&N Air Filter
Calmini Grill Guard / Tube Bumpers UK Factory Sunvisor RRO Coil Spacers Bridgestone Dueler Revo 235/75-15's

Offline tracker8wr

• THE BIGGER THE BETTER
    • my home page
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:44:01 AM »
the OLD MAN's lifts r by far the best riding lifts out there for zuks. the spring is customized to the wieght (winch , winch bumper) of ur vehicle which pruduces a superior ride in lots of cases better than stock.
4 1/2 body
Coil spacers
cheap but effective
31" LTB Swampers
http://www.geocities.com/race8thwonder01/ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/769479

Offline 97TRAKIN

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:03:10 AM »
Elongate the hole so you can adjust camber.

Offline zookiemike

• $,reppin Michigan,$
IRe: enough Calmini...what about OLD MAN EMU?!?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:16:44 PM »
I had it on my tracker and it out flexd and rode better then a stock new one. I'll post some pics and the mini movie we made awhile back.
As we moving with the speed of the robot sonic exhaust
Chronic fumes, fuel, gin, and tonic
Half of the world is corrupt and alive
The other half is depressed and they want to die

Offline zookiemike

• $,reppin Michigan,$
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:23:36 PM by zookiemike »

Offline INGERSOL

• BIG, LONG, AND BLACK
    • INGERSOL.COM
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 04:31:29 AM »
I wonder when someone says "the ride is better" of they mean more firm or more soft.  I hate soft.  The springs/shocks on my tracker are set up to make it ride like a car (nice and soft) but this just makes the body roll unbearable.  I can only wonder how bad it would get if I switch to longer-travel suspension with the same soft setup.  The body lean would get even worse.  
2003 Chevy Tracker
Suzisport Headers
K&N Air Filter

Offline zookiemike

• $,reppin Michigan,$
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 05:19:20 AM »
I dont think that would be a problem. It rode real nice and drove very positivly. The ride wasn't that cushy put was real smooth. Give it some thought man but ,imao, it's the way to go.

Mike.

Ps Dam i miss that tracker :'(

Offline 97TRAKIN

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 05:38:23 AM »
The springs/shocks on my tracker are set up to make it ride like a car (nice and soft)

What :o? My Tracker "04 rides like a TRUCK! I WISH I had soft springs that's why I'm looking into the OME springs.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 05:57:53 AM »
So has anyone used the OME 4 door coils under a Sidekick/Tracker 4 door?  I'm curious to hear how much lift you got?  Been talking with a guy on another forum who's using OME coils under his 4 door Kick but didn't get 1.5" of lift from them.  Now we're wondering if he was given 2 door coils instead?

Adjustable cam bolts - are they an OME part, how much of a PITA, and where do you get them?

Offline INGERSOL

• BIG, LONG, AND BLACK
    • INGERSOL.COM
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 06:33:22 AM »
Very strange...

The springs/shocks on my tracker are set up to make it ride like a car (nice and soft)  

What ? My Tracker "04 rides like a TRUCK! I WISH I had soft springs that's why I'm looking into the OME springs.

I have an '03 Tracker, 4 dr.  Maybe a soft ride to me is "rides like a truck" to someone else.  Maybe Rocky Road Outfitters can arrange for me to test drive one of their OME equipped vitaras.  You think they will pay for the plane ticket from Toronto to Utah (wherever the hell Utah is...)?
2003 Chevy Tracker
Suzisport Headers
K&N Air Filter

spinaltap

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 06:41:25 AM »
My RRO setup should be delivered in the not too distant future...I'll post my opinion of it after I've broken it in.

Offline zookiemike

• $,reppin Michigan,$
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 06:47:55 AM »
 You can get Cam bolts from car quest or napa. I just took my tracker to the dealer and $49 later it was back to factory specs. As far as lift goes. I got about 2in from the kitt but if the kitt tought me any thing is that lift does not equit to off road abillity. In other words learn to drive off road and you will be inpressed 8).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 06:51:55 AM by zookiemike »

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »
I've been running the OME setup on my 4dr Kick after also doing it on a 2dr. It definately rides and handles better than stock although I had OME shocks in the rear and I feel they don't have enough travel. The lift is not high and on the 4dr I went to heavy duty springs and 3/4" coil spacers. I used the camber bolts for the 4dr as the spacers made it necessary. It is a nicely balanced package for road and trail and a simple install but if you want real flex then the Calmini will be better. I have the Calmini 3" sitting there waiting for me to fit after I modify my swb ARB winch bar with winch to fit the lwb. I'm going to keep the OME struts.