Hello Guest

Need help with brakes

• 3 Replies

Offline whitestanger

Need help with brakes
« on: March 20, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
My problem is a soft brake pedal. It takes 3 or 4 pumps just to get the brakes to grab. I put on a bunch of new lines and rear pads. I adjusted the drum brakes and bled the system a bunch of times and triple checked every line for leaks and found none. Once i do get pressure in the system the pedal will stay hard so the mc is not bleeding off. I also put a new caliper up front. The rubber lines don't seem to be expanding. The are only two because i had to put on SS brake lines for the lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1988 1/2 Samurai
6" breeze Industries SPOA lift & trac bar
4" Body Lift
33"x13.50" Super Swampers on off set 15" rims
5"-10" drop shackles front and rear
Skyjacker Shocks
Russel stainless steel brake and fuel lines
Fuel cell
10 000  winch front
3000  winch rear
custom bumpers

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Need help with brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 05:17:23 PM »
Time for more bleeding...   Really.

Get a helper or install speed bleeders (one-way valves) and start bleeding from the passenger rear working forward to driver's front.

Have the helper open the bleeder, press down on the pedal, have the helper tighten the bleeder then release the pedal.  Repeat until all you get is a solid stream with no bubbles or foam.  Repeat on all wheels in the order indicated above.

Speed bleeders eliminate the need for a helper.  Just open them up one at a time starting with passenger rear and pump until the flow is completely clear.

There is a slight possibility that the propotioning valve has died, but you can usually tell that because the case is covered with brake fluid and caked-on road dust.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »
I got frustrated with mine too, I was to the point where I gravity feed & flushed the fluid till it was dripping clear. All was well after that.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
You can also suck out the fluid with a vacuum pump $15 from harbor freight. DO NOT suck more than what's in the reservoir |removethispart|@ the master cylinder. Suck most of the stuff from the res out first, replace with good fluid, and go one tire at a time 'till you're sucking clear liquid. I think there's an order in which you need to bleed them too (including proportioning valve in rear). I had this same problem - took the BIG bottle of fluid to fully flush, and now breaks are all good.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6