Hello Guest

Is a Panhard bar really the answer?

• 5 Replies

Offline sciozuk

Is a Panhard bar really the answer?
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
I've got a 88.5 sami w/ 8ins of lift on 33's and I've read the spidertrax stuff on the panhard bar but I was wondering if anyone on here has one installed and is it the end all be all answer that I've read about or just hype to sell more units. If anyone has some actual practical knowledge on the before and after I'd love to here it (good or bad) thanks.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Is a Panhard bar really the answer?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
I don't know if it will fix your problem, because you didn't say what your trying to fix. 8" of lift to stuff in 33" tires  ??? Seems overkill. You shouldn't need any more than 4" of lift: (33"-27")/2=4".
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
Unless you plan on doing a lot of hacking you need at least 6" to clear 33" tires on a Sammy.  I run a low lift, but both my rear and front fenders have been modified.  I do have some old pictures somewhere of when I was running a straight SPOA with 33" tires before I picked up the offset wheels.  Those tires tucked up tight!  :D

The reason to go for a panhard bar is if your having steering problems.  The problem is you end up limiting your flex if you have a really flexy suspension.  Unless you have problems with wander and really loose steering when driving down the road or find that you can't steer when flexed out due to your suspension soaking up your steering you probably don't need one.

What sort of steering issues are you seeing and what is your current setup?  Power steering and full high steer kit or just a long Z bar?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline sciozuk

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
I've got a Z-link and it seems to be OK but there is a bit of wandering. I've only recently got it rolling again after it being down for a year. In that time is when I did the SPOA so I'm just trying to put my money in the right places if ya know what I mean.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
If your having bump steer problems I would recommend picking up half of a high-steer kit from Sky Manufacturing.  That should fix most of your steering issues when driving on the road.  If you still have issues with your front end wandering, or if you like high speed rallying, I would look at the panhard kit.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
You can use Mercedes arms to get hi-steer as well. I see them for sale for around $75 shipped. I think you'll need access to a drill press to drill out a hole or two... if you don't have one, a machine shop will do it cheap (around here anyway).
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6