Hello Guest

cracked radiator

• 8 Replies

Offline LBC4x4

• 1992 4door 3" body 1"coil spacers 31x10.5
cracked radiator
« on: August 26, 2004, 05:35:10 AM »
whats up guys

My radiator just cracked and is spewing coolent all over the place.
Well moving along I was wondering if anyone has put a bigger radiator into their Sidekick and if so where did you get it from and how hard was it to install.

Any suggestions would be great
thanks

mperry

Re: cracked radiator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 12:53:41 PM »
Were did the radiator crack?

A friend patched his upper... I think in a Metro. He pulled it so he could get to the crack. He cleaned the crack with baking soda, then scrubbed it with alcohol... sanded the area, then used fiberglass. I don't know if this would work on yours.

Check w/ your local radiator shops. Most can't/won't fix plastic tanks, but may be able to build you one from scratch. (Check w/ the local 4WD or hotrod clubs. They probably know a good local shop.) Probably cost you as much as the dealer would charge, but it'd be heavier duty.

Offline Road_Dog

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
Clean up/wash away the coolant 'cause dogs and cats love the taste and it will kill them.

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 07:41:56 PM »
 Why do you want/need a bigger radiator? I've never heard/seen of overheating being a problem in kicks, without it being related to a fan or waterpump or thermostat, something else in the cooling system.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 07:43:20 PM by idaholwb »
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline LBC4x4

• 1992 4door 3" body 1"coil spacers 31x10.5
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 06:15:26 AM »
Thanks for the advise. I just thought that if I would be replacing the radiator I might as well put is something better. I ended up buying a replacment radiator. I was able to buy one with metal ends from a local radiator shop.

Offline Mike71

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 06:49:36 AM »
i love these plastic parts in the radiators..my friends civic had a radiator problem because someone leaned on the top of the radiator cap and cracked the radiator!!!! that was rediculous
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

mperry

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 06:47:45 PM »
i love these plastic parts in the radiators..my friends civic had a radiator problem because someone leaned on the top of the radiator cap and cracked the radiator!!!! that was rediculous

They went w/ plastic to shave weight and make them cheaper. *Usually* they last longer than the cheap copper tank models.

In the 80's and on they used poor soldering & there was a run of radiators and heater cores failing... failing at the solder. There was a time when it was easy to pull a heater core, but now it's means tearing the dash apart, in some cases.

Speaking of which... the 94 Kick has the heater hoses disappear through the firewall. Does anyone know how to swap these out? I've changed all the other hoses (at 50K) but these are still stock.

mperry

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 06:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the advise. I just thought that if I would be replacing the radiator I might as well put is something better.

Kewel! Now, if you get where it starts overheating (idling long times, overworking the engine, or partial plugging with mud) you can have it rebuilt. They will be able to put in additional tubes... if they haven't already done so.

Usually 'Zukis run a bit colder than optimum for their computer... especially in winter. (They like to operate at the hairy edge of overheating.  :D)

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 05:29:42 AM »

Speaking of which... the 94 Kick has the heater hoses disappear through the firewall. Does anyone know how to swap these out? I've changed all the other hoses (at 50K) but these are still stock.

You are looking at the easy part, there are metal stubs that come
through the firewall that those hoses attach to, the hard part is the
hoses where they attach to the waterpump inlet tube and the bottom
of the intake manifold, those are like fumbling in the dark, you can't
see $#!* under there

I replaced mine twice now, the last time I used
silicone high temp hose, just about lasts forever,
and I didn't want to change these for a long time
from now, and the cheap junk hose from the auto
parts store won't last as long as the factory hoses.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.