Hello Guest

Anyone run a 102" whip ?

• 13 Replies

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
Anyone run a 102" whip ?
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:08:46 AM »
Just wondering if anyone runs a 102" stainless steel whip for the CB radio ? I used to run them back in the day and if anyone has ever ran one they know that the performance can't be beat . I am just wondering what you do with the whip when you go offroading in the tight low spots ? I used to run them on pickups when you could just tuck it into a bed corner but that is hard on a tracker.
Thanks,
Raz

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: Anyone run a 102" whip ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:17 AM »
raz
i have used a 102 in the past.
i thought i'd try a 48" wound fiberglass core thing.
i think these short things are only good for a small range of frequency- if i tune to lower channels(i have an swr meter) upper frequencies are marginal. compromised by tuning to ch19, so now it's kinda crappy on both ends.
mabe i'm going back to a 102. glass rod. it'll just have to whip things.
richard
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline fordguy79

• long beach Wa,
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:00:49 AM »
on my last truck i could tuck my whip under mirror.   but on my sami it use to be mounted on the front bumper. i had 1/16 cable hooked to the rear bumper so i could just bow the whip and hold it with a small hook that would grab the nub on the tip
87sami 32" bfg mt 6.5:1 w/reverse S shifter  1.6 16v sold and missed

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »
I used to run them, and I would bend them over and attach the to the windshield frame when needed.  Or if I was camping I would take them off, and switch it for a smaller whip.
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline Freak

• !
    • Freakreation
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
Yeah I made a little tab to clip it into the top of the windshield. I could release it while still in the drivers seat! It was awesome for tailgaters on the highway as it would whip back and if they were close enough it would bounce off their hood. A little ignorant I know but so is tailgating and they would sure back off in a hurry.

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:58:25 PM »
I am an old time cber and I have had all types radios,meters and antennas. And it is very hard to beat a 102" stainless whip except for tight places like parking ramps and under low timber spots.
I am running an old (the good ones) RCI2950 in my work car right now.
I am just going to go with a small cheap cobra in the tracker because of all the bouncing and in case it gets wet  and also the space availability inside the tracker.
Anybody have any pics of a 102" mounted on the back bumper of a tracker ?
Thanks,
Raz

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 11:40:38 PM »
It was awesome for tailgaters on the highway

In my state (California), in ANY traffic flow (and even at a stop) vehicles are required to stay at least one car length behind you. If the antenna is only 102" behind you, they'd have no legal recourse here.

It's also my understanding the quality / length of the antenna has much more to do with signal quality than brand of CB. Can anyone confirm this?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:11:18 AM »
I totally agree with the quality of the antenna , you can have a $40 cb outperform a $300 unit . What alot of people don't understand is that a CB setup is not plug n play. All setups need to be tuned.
Raz

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »
I run a 1/4 wave.  I've got it mounted to the spare tire bracket.  It hits trees on the trail and spooks my passengers.
[/url]

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:48:08 AM »
Have any pics ?

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
I agree with the tuning is more important than the brand thing.  I bought an el cheapo uniden from a truck stop, mounted it, then had a local cb shop re do my wiring. I had my antennae mounted at the spare tire mount, where it was getting all kinds of interference off the mount and the spare wheel. They suggested I move the mount to the corner of the bumper, which I did, they then soldered the the leads and ends on the antenee cable, tuned the length of the antenae and my reception and ability to broadcast has never been better. I can't use an antenae much taller than my roof, I've already torn one off in the trees. How well does a 102 work when it's tied down? A couple of those mounted on the front corners could be folded down, attached at the roof rack, and be great brush splitters.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
To be honest , your antenna is only really working the part that is above your roof. The swr is so high on the portion that is below the roof line it isn't doing much . On thing that you can do is think of the corner that your antenna is on , as the tailfeathers  of an arrow and the furthest corner from the antenna as the arrow head. So, if you can't hear someone but know the direction that they are in just point it in that direction. If you don't know where they are at, go around in circles until the signal increases and then you can find the direction that they are located in.
I used to do "bunny hunting" with my CB friends, and the direction thing works.
Otherwise as I have stated above, if you want the best transmitting and reception you will have to go with the 102" .
Concentrate on the antenna and not as much on the radio. If you really want to have fun get a sideband rig like a 2950,galaxy or older export radio which you can tune to a frequency. 
Raz

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
Good tips on the "aiming" thing, thanks Raz.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER