Hello Guest

Can you slide front diff. forward to help with tire/rocker issues? 87 samurai

• 6 Replies

Offline one mile

Just a thought...other than the normal things (drive shaft, brake lines, etc.) how far could it be moved, if at all, before steering issues surface? I really want to work with getting as much out of the wheels and tires for ground clearance as I can before I have to raise it. All that Me and my Tape measure can see is the rocker issue after wheel offset has been taken care of. Is this a good thought or bad? Let me know so I can get it out of my head.....
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
I'm running an RUF with the back of the springs mounted in the stock location.  That slid the axle forward 1.5".  I needed to put new shock mounts, a drive-line spacer, and new brake lines in order to deal with the longer travel.  New front shackles (folding style instead of new front mounts) current fold up under the front bumper.

To fit 33" tires with a standard SPOA I had to cut up the front fenders or install a bump stop.  http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=17917.0

With the entire lower fender cut out you could probably go forward another 1.5" inches without having to move your steering box.  You will need to extend your frame forward in order to make the new front shackle mounts for your longer springs.

If your looking to slide your axle forward 12" you really should look at switching over to coils and probably a full hydro steering solution.  Or just build a buggy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:42:06 AM by Drone637 »
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline one mile

Great info and love the pics.! I am not going to your extreme (not right now anyway) but it looks like a blast to drive. I am just looking for 29's with stock suspension and just good shocks or maybe 28's with sliding it forward no more than I have to to clear the rockers and maybe not to get too complicated on the steering issues. I know that is small potatos to you looking at your ride! What kind of power plant do you have running it?
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Stock 970cc 4 cyl. with the stock 4 speed transmission.  With the new carb I can hit 50 going up an incline on pavement though!  :D

One way to slide your axle forward just a bit is to re-drill your spring mount on the axle.  It means your not centered in the middle of your spring anymore, but enough people have done it that it can't be to bad.  That should give you the 1/2" you need to clear the 29" tires.

If you want a little more height on your springs, but don't want to go with a full lift kit or stiffen up the ride call Hawk Suzuki and get a number 2 spring from the stock spring pack, that is the long one without the eyes.  You can add it to your existing spring pack, it will give you a little bit of height and not be quite as stiff as a proper add-a-leaf kit.  I run that in the front to offset the bumper and winch and keep my springs from bowing backwards.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline one mile

That sounds great I think that is EXACTLY what I will try first! Do you know if I Will I have to modify my steering at all? That is if I only move it forward just enough to get clearance for tires? I know a lot of things can go into play, but a educated guess will be ok, I know most of it depends on me. So what do you think?
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
No steering modification needed.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline one mile

Well I think it is time to spend some money! Thanks for the help! Till next time..........
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"