Hello Guest

Another 1.3 to 1.6 conversion question

• 36 Replies

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Another 1.3 to 1.6 conversion question
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2008, 06:39:06 AM »
The inlet manifold on the 1.3 has smaller ports than the 1.6. The 1.6 inlet gasket that I had wasn't a great match to the ports so I opened up a 1.3 gasket to fit.

Modified gasket on 1.3 inlet manifold:

Then stuck the manifold in my cheapo Workmate copy and broke out the flexidrive and a grinding tool

I opened up the holes to the size of the gasket. There is a galley on one side of each of the ports, I just smoothed this out down to the level of the casting mark.

On a carb engine the 1.6 fuel pump is bigger too so the manifold also needs a little clearancing in that area too

The alloy is really easy to work with and even taking it steady it was only about 1/2hrs work.

Surprisingly the 413 exhaust manifold was a good match to the 1.6 head so I didn't touch it, I used the 1.3 exhaust gasket too.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
DUDE YOUR THE GREATEST
Ive been looking all over for that information. I really appreciate the pictures and all. Im going to dig into it tomorrow.

I ordered my clutch kit today on ebay.

ive been checking out my 1.6  ;D she looks leak free but im still debating to do a head gasket. I'm getting a timing belt kit, water pump, thermostat, going to check all the vacuum lines. make it short im just going to inspect it very good.

Oh Rhinoman, How did u pull your motor? engine and trans together or pull the trans then the motor? my cherry picker is to short for my truck hehe so i think im going to let all the air out of my tires or lower the air on to jackstands?

Again thanks everyone -bob

Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »
when it's lifted  put the floorjack under it and pull the front tires .  you can still move it on the jack and it gives you more clearence
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
i do it on dirt, so i try not to move it that much.
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 06:32:29 AM »
The 1.6 was delivered on a pallet, the 1.3 was pulled seperately. I fitted up the 1.6 then discovered that the top engine/gearbox bolts wouldn't fit, the holes through the bellhousing need to be opened out. I tried to drop the gearbox seperately but couldn't get it out so I pulled the engine again. I then refitted engine and box together.
I was working on a loose surface too so I know the problems, it was easier to push the SJ backwards and forwards than to try and move the hoist.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
thats a reason why i bought the trail tough kit so u dont have to do any drilling it comes with stepper bolts. i was thinking pulling the front end off but didnt get to look at it today was to busy trying to fix my heat
Bob

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
So I finally found a replacement exhaust manifold stud and nut. But here's the tricky part it only pops up if I look under tracker, if I look under samurai I get nothing. Now it is a tracker motor but i am using the samurai header. Will this work? It should if the factory bolt/stud works. Here is the link.

http://www.google.com/products?q=1991+suzuki+tracker+exhaust+manifold+stud&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

P.S. also got my new clutch kit too.  :) I got everything I need pretty much. Now I need some nice days to start working on her  :(
Bob