Hello Guest

1.3 Samurai Rear Seal

• 6 Replies

Offline ScottG

1.3 Samurai Rear Seal
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »
Hello all.  I'm a new Samurai owner (1987).  I have the trans and transfer case out for seals and a new clutch.  I'd like to consider replacing the rear engine seal.  It has a seal retainer housing and with two bolts common to the oil pan.  Question, Can I remove the retainer housing wiithout removing the oil pan?  Also, does the oil pan use a gasket or just silicone sealer, and does the rear seal retainer housing use a gasket also or just silicone sealer.
Thanks a bunch for any advise on this.  Removing the oil pan is not the end of the world, but if I can avoid this I'd be happier.
Scott :)

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: 1.3 Samurai Rear Seal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »
scott
i have a kick, but it has the 1.3L engine so shouldn't be too different than what you have.
i haven't done this yet, but a clutch replacement will be done by april next year.
i was going to resurface the flywheel, so seal replacement at that time makes sense.
i had assumed i would just pry out the old one.
your question has me wondering now.
richard
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
Richard,
With no responses from the forum, I moved ahead.  I bought the gasket and real seal kit.  But, I did not have to remove the seal retainer.  I drilled two very small pilot holes on the seal face opposite of each other.  It's metal.  Then I screwed two machine screws.  Using a claw hammer, I simply pulled out the seal as if it were a nail in a piece of wood. It came out very easy.  I then cleaned up the crankshaft with some 600 grit and then installed the seal flush with the retainer cover. 

Went well for me.  Good luck.
Scott ;D

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:53 PM »
right-o scott.
i had thought something like that would work. thanks for the report. i feel better now.
how's the new clutch feel?
mine still seems to work ok, but i have used it pretty hard the last 2 seasons and have no idea how old it is. i suspect it is the original clutch, so i'm planning on an oem replacement w/a flywheel turn(and new seal).
richard
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
New clutch and flywheel is sweet.  I replaced the front and rear trans seals along with all of the transfer case seals while I was in there.

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
 If you are having issues with how your clutch pedal feels, try replacing the clutch cable. I bet that will take care of most of it.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline ScottG

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
Clutch cable was also replaced.  Thanks for the tip though.