Hello Guest

samurai front D-shaft?

• 2 Replies

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
samurai front D-shaft?
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »
Hey all, i have been working on my front drive shaft for my samurai but have been running into some problems.

I have a Toyota drive shaft that i have cut up and made to the right length. Went to put it in, but ran into another problem. The CV's couldn't handle the angle and would max out before reaching the pinion flange.  The CV's could only go up to about 22°, so i took them apart and clearheaded them out and got the max angle to a hair under 35°.  Now the drive shaft will make it from the T-case to the pinion...but its about maxed out, and I'm pretty sure it will blow apart under any sort of articulation.

Most of the problem is with the transfer case being rocked up, so the T-case flange is up about 7 or 8°.  I'm not sure what to do, i know that i don't want to have to cut my knuckle balls and rotate my axle up.  Any one ever level their T-case out? Or does it mess with the intermediate shaft?

Any info would be awesome!!

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Online ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: samurai front D-shaft?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
Hey all, i have been working on my front drive shaft for my samurai but have been running into some problems.

I have a Toyota drive shaft that i have cut up and made to the right length. Went to put it in, but ran into another problem. The CV's couldn't handle the angle and would max out before reaching the pinion flange.  The CV's could only go up to about 22°, so i took them apart and clearheaded them out and got the max angle to a hair under 35°.  Now the drive shaft will make it from the T-case to the pinion...but its about maxed out, and I'm pretty sure it will blow apart under any sort of articulation.

Most of the problem is with the transfer case being rocked up, so the T-case flange is up about 7 or 8°.  I'm not sure what to do, i know that i don't want to have to cut my knuckle balls and rotate my axle up.  Any one ever level their T-case out? Or does it mess with the intermediate shaft?

Amilla

Have a driveline place like Tom Woods clearance your CV shaft so that it works for you.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
Re: samurai front D-shaft?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »

Amilla

Have a driveline place like Tom Woods clearance your CV shaft so that it works for you.

-Eric

I have already done it, took about 45 min to do.

I put the drive shaft in today and so far no vibrations, just not sure how long its going to last.  I have a feeling that its going to bind up when the pass side droops out.

I was talking to some of the guys on pirate and they were saying that 88-94 V6 4Runner rear shafts are the bees knees, there a non CV and will handle 42°.  I think im going to have to do a little bit more research on that one.

Thanks   

Amilla

88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.