Hello Guest

5-Speed to 4-Speed Auto Questions

• 6 Replies

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
5-Speed to 4-Speed Auto Questions
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
I know this has been covered before, but I struck out on search  :'( What's involved in converting from a 5-Speed to a 4-Speed automatic? 5 speed is a '96, and the 4-Speed would be from a '94 if that makes a difference?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: 5-Speed to 4-Speed Auto Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »
The 4-speed auto is an electronically-controlled transmission.  This means that you would have to come up with the harness for it and splice it into your truck.  It may require a different ECM unless the ECM is set up to work with the various combinations of transmissions.  There may be small differences in the transmission/electrical system from model year to model year - I don't know for sure on that.

Also, you'll need a pedal set for the Automatic along with the console and shifter.

There is some info on swapping a mechanical Volvo 4-spd automatic - the exact same critter as found in a 4-door TracKick - except with a different bell housing.  Do a search for volvo or automatic at Ack's FAQ (the link is in my signature, below).

I hope that this helps!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:17:38 PM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »
I have a '94 with a hatchet job SAS on yota axles. The drive shafts are no good, and I've blown all my u-joints. Then there's the $1000 for dual cases, OTT stearing, IFS box & TC pump. Might be more $$$ than I really have to get it rolling again. So, I'm considering parting out the '94, selling the Yota axles (fully rebuilt with Yukon 4.88 gears & Aussie locker in the back), and taking whatever I need to make the auto work. I'll look into the Volvo trans though, as that'll leave me open for a 2.0L swap in the future.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 05:49:47 AM »
The 4-speed auto is an electronically-controlled transmission.  This means that you would have to come up with the harness for it and splice it into your truck.  It may require a different ECM unless the ECM us set up to work with the various combinations of transmissions. 

The ECM is different.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Online ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
Wouldn't the 3 speed auto from the earlier Sidekicks work? There's no computer control on them and his harness would be just fine with that...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
I believe (but haven't yet proved) that the auto ECU and manual ECU are essentially the same. There are jumpers on the PCB that select different configurations. It may therefore be possible to change a manual ECU to an auto. Here in the UK autos are extremely rare so its not easy to come by an ECU.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »
Wouldn't the 3 speed auto from the earlier Sidekicks work? There's no computer control on them and his harness would be just fine with that...

-Eric

Me likes OD.

I believe (but haven't yet proved) that the auto ECU and manual ECU are essentially the same. There are jumpers on the PCB that select different configurations. It may therefore be possible to change a manual ECU to an auto. Here in the UK autos are extremely rare so its not easy to come by an ECU.

I have both. Where do I need to look to verify this?
'08 Yamaha FZ6