Hello Guest

Suva's homeade hardtop

• 4 Replies

Offline suva

Suva's homeade hardtop
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:35:35 PM »
For the front I cut out a piece of 16ga sheetmetal with a plasma cutter to fit the roof lines and bent a lip down around the front so it would fit into the factory softtop seal better, then I punched some holes for it to be bolted down in the factory threaded holes. I made them a little oversized to make it easier to bolt down.

The back was made in a similar fashion out of 16ga sheet metal with a 1/2X1/2x1/8 rack welded on to stiffen it and to add storage. I bolted it down where the saetbelts originally were fastened.

The back window frame was made out of 3X1/8 FB welded together rather than a full sheet to save material, the window and seal is out of a late 80's Mazda.

The part that connects the back window section to the 'tonneau cover' section is a piece of 5X1/2 wipe off a rock crusher conveyor attached with 1/4" bolts clamping down 2 pieces of 1/2X1/8 FB.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
Re: Suva's homeade hardtop
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
looks good

8)

Offline skitime

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
Wow you are quite an talented guy.   Looks perfect.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
I love the fact that the rubber trim fits the curve of the body perfectly.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline suva

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
I love the fact that the rubber trim fits the curve of the body perfectly. 
The rubber was originally flat, it just bends to fit. Originally I had a piiece of metal welded to my 3rd brake light that would wedge the back down when you closed the rear door so you could flip it up for easier access.