Hello Guest

tracker questions

• 12 Replies

tracker questions
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
so I'm going tommarrow to get a 1995 tracker lsi for a dd I talked the guy to 1500$ for it...   It runs good 4x4 works and compared to my 91 crawler this tracker is amazing as far as no rust ... The body and frame are imaculate...   
First question is do you guys think this is a good deal
Second is ... It has auto hubs... And I don't think I like that ... Does anyone know if they are any good and if  not could I put the manual hubs from my 91  in it ?
And third and probably most important ...  I need this thing a little bigger ... I found a set of 29 inch swampeds near me I want to buy for it... But what should I do to make it sit a oil higher... I have my rock rig so this onewil not be seriously offroaded ...  I just want some height

Thanks guys
Steve

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: tracker questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »
-1500 for a good condition rust free tracker sounds like a sweet price to me.
-Auto Hubs work OK for snow and mild off road, more than that, I would manual it (I think your 91's will work fine)
-Do a search for spring and strut spacers. Some members here are selling them and using them for a decent, inexpensive lift to fit bigger tires.

HTH,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
I have the coil spring/strut spacers you need. Let me know if interested.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »
You can fit 235's under a stock one but it will rub a bit.  If your set on 29's then you should grab some of Jeffs spacers and do a full 1.5" and go 30's.  That is what I run and the loss of power was minimal.  Also if kept around 60 I am getting 27MPG.

Autohubs suck IMO.

Yes that is a great price if the carfax is clean and matches the milage.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
Can't tell you if it's a good deal or not, as you're missing a lot of information: trim level (power windows? A/C? Mileage? Maintenance  records?). Wheeling other vehicles in mud & snow with auto lockers was great - I could shift into 4wd on the fly when needed, and back to 2wd when I wanted to do donuts, and never had to get out in the mud to futz with the hubs. I like 'em. Rumor has it selectable are better for rocks, but I'm not sure if they're just repeating what they heard, or if they really do suck in rocks.

I'm not sure where you're from... If you live somewhere flat, the difference between 29" and 30" tires won't be very noticeable, but where I live (foothills) - it makes a big difference in power & MPG. Stick with 29". If you're fortunate enough to get your hands on an automatic, you can swap in manual diff gears & that will correct to the 29 / 30" tire range.

Avoid body lifts - they don't give any additional frame clearance. There's two lifts depending on your budget:
* People using Jeff1997's spacers are very happy with them. You'll also need longer rear shocks (mustang or ford F150), and a front strut mount flip (search, this is covered a LOT already). At about $200, spacers are the best bang-for-the-buck solution. They give more ground clearance, but they don't give more articulation. Spacer lift should be under $200 if memory serves?
* The best lift for 29 /30" tires is the OME lift, and a bargain at $700. It comes with longer springs, shocks & struts, and VASTLY improves ride quality.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
I should add - there were some changes in '96. I know the A/C got the new cheap-easy-to-find coolant, the dash became more complex to handle air bags, and the panels in the back became slightly more complex (not flat, 'better' styling) - this makes things slightly more complicated if you want to upgrade to 6x9 speakers (or even 8"?) from the anemic 3 or 4" tweats in the back. I think that's when the 2 doors went from 8v to 16v engines? The 4-doors always came with 16v.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:15:02 AM »
Alright guys thanks for the input... But a few more questions I'm getting the 29" swampers... But I also have a new set of 235/75/15 with studs in them ... Will the swampers be good winter tires?... Or should I put on those snows? ... How are swampers on snowy roads? ... And the lift with the spacers... What year f150, crown vic, or mustang shocks would I need?

Thanks again
Steve

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
My swampers are GREAT in the snow. I do not know the exact years for the shocks but I send a bunch of part numbers of ones that fit good. You can also search on here, someone has posted a bunch that work as well.
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline zukizuki07

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »
Alright guys thanks for the input... But a few more questions I'm getting the 29" swampers... But I also have a new set of 235/75/15 with studs in them ... Will the swampers be good winter tires?... Or should I put on those snows? ... How are swampers on snowy roads? ... And the lift with the spacers... What year f150, crown vic, or mustang shocks would I need?

Thanks again
Steve
newer 4 door shocks from track/kicks also give you a good lift.... may be easier to find in your area
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:53:19 AM »
thanks Zukizuki do know specifically what years I'd want and would I still need longer shocks .... I found some mustang shocks... But how do I know what year?
Thanks

Offline hegemon

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »
If you go with a coil spacer lift, you will need longer rear shocks.

'95 rear mustang shocks seem to fit with no modification

'91 crown vic shocks are probably the most commonly ones used, but you will need to press the metal spacer out of the original shock to use with the crown vic shocks

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
I send part numbers of 95 mustang shocks with my spacer kits. They range in price from $25 each to $250 if you get the really high performance racing ones. We all know we need the racing shocks on the Zuk's  :laugh:
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
Will the swampers be good winter tires?

Swamper makes many tires. Some suck in the snow, some don't, and some do great in the snow.
'08 Yamaha FZ6