Hello Guest

Tin Top Sammy's Rollover???

• 4 Replies

Tin Top Sammy's Rollover???
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »
I'm not sure of the weight difference, but I'm sure there is some. Does the extra weight of the tin top Samurai's make them more prone to rollovers off road?

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Tin Top Sammy's Rollover???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
They call it a tin top because it is "tinny" like a tin can, and light. The rollover thing is a myth created and made worse by consumer reports. In reality, they are about as stable as a Toyota 2wd truck. If it is lifted, it will raise the center of gravity, and you must drive accordingly. The tin top doesn't add enough weight to make a difference.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline j2custom

• Suzuki's rule!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »
After building and wheeling both I would say the tintop does roll easier offroad but only slightly.  I have been over backwards and on both sides many times in my tintop in situations where my softtop wouldn't/didn't roll.  The same trail, same tires and suspension.  Just my 2 cents...  

The rollover thing is a myth created and made worse by consumer reports
Very true, Suzuki won there legal battle against Consumer Reports for their false reporting.  
2001 Chevy Tracker 4 door 2.0 5 spd 4x4
1995 Geo Tracker 1.6 8V 5 spd 4x4
2005 Tundra Crew Cab Limited 4x4
 It's not what you buy... it's what you build

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »
On the other hand, if you DO happen to roll, actually having a little tin up there might help keep sticks, rocks, and other sharp objects out of your hair.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  I think I'm going to Moab next weekend for my first trip out in it, and was trying to figure out which trails would be to much for it.