Hello Guest

Weber 32/36 intake/adapter port matching ?

• 4 Replies

Offline IHBP

Weber 32/36 intake/adapter port matching ?
« on: December 06, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »
Hello, sorry to just barge in new and bug everyone but I've got a question I can't find an answer for today and hopefully I can get some help here.

I've got a 88.5 JX samurai, the original block bored .040"|removethispart|@13:1 Compression with a head off a 1.6L 8v and a midrange cam and heavy springs. I've got a stainless tri-Y header from Hawk with ball flange and 2.25" exhaust. I have a weber 32/36 dgav carb with a single piece adapter plate.

Today I'm putting a new radiator in it and rebuilding the weber.

I have heard that there is a benefit to port matching intake manifold to the adapter and cutting out the cross piece in the center of the manifold completely.

What I'm wondering is if it is safe to fully match the intake ports to the adapter as this seems to remove a lot of material in the manifold. I don't know if that area of the casting is solid or has water jackets up into it.

Please help, I've been reading some around in this forum lately and I finally decided to register, I've had my sam for goin on 12 years now and it's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned:)

Thank you for any help you can offer in advance

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: Weber 32/36 intake/adapter port matching ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »
that looks just like mine did.
i wondered if the 2 pc. adapter fit any better.
i did not completely remove that center section, but i ground away everything else you can see there. even a fair amount inside just 'cause it seemed right.
you are mounting bowl to firewall?
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline IHBP

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
Bowl to front is how I go about it, I'm in Kansas and I have only come across one hill steep enough to make it stall (but I can get up it with a run :laugh:).

I went ahead and reamed out everything I could in the intake, the crossbar and enough of the outside perimeter to match the outer diameters of the holes in the adapter. I took it for a short drive after I got it all back together and wow it runs good.

Then a heater hose split :( And then in my haste to fix it I shorted the starter with my pliers and now my alternator isn't charging :( So I haven't really gotten to run it much ::)

I'll drop a pic of my rig in here since my cam didn't save the pic I took of the manifold after I finished it...

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »
you could check the FSM and see if they show a pic of coolant in the intake. or pull the intake off. also i might be wrong but i know with v8s the cross bar on the intake is to help with lowend tq and throttle response
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline IHBP

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »
Well, I finally got it all going smooth.

I've got more power from idle up throughout the entire rev band now, when I kick the secondary open it hogs air in loud as heck.

But now when I get on it hard in 3rd and 4th, it sucks the bowl dry at high(5k+) rpm and holding the throttle wide open. Time for a new/better fuel pump.

Also need to get a bigger idle jet, have to turn the mix screw out about 4 turns to get a nice idle but it idles really slowly.

I am going to take it out in the hills tonight (supposed to start snowing here tonight) for a while and see how it does.

The new radiator keeps it cool perfectly, temp gage sits solid at 180*F, with the old radiator it puked every time the motor warmed up and then would boil out. Glad that part is over with:)