Hello Guest

Howdy all, and newbie question

• 5 Replies

Alphonso

Howdy all, and newbie question
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:17:22 PM »
Howdy all, 

Serious newbie here.  I bought a mid 80s Samauri today.  Don't even know what year it is.  I am hoping to replace my Kawasaki Mule with it just for runnng around the ranch and such.   The Mule is great, but underpowered for pulling downed trees out of the woods and such.   Wish me luck...

Anyway, on to my question:  what is controlled by the short shifter behind the regular gear shifter?  It is 2WD to FWD, or low to high, or a diff lock?

Also, which lever position is which setting? 

Thanks in advance for the help.  The Samauri runs, but poorly, and tomorrow I'm going to do the dreaded carb cleaning and rebuild.   

Offline IHBP

Re: Howdy all, and newbie question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 03:27:22 PM »
Transfer case gear/drive selector lever.

it moves in a J pattern, toward the driver side and forward is 2hi, pull back from there and is 4hi, move the lever to the passenger side and forward 1 notch is neutral and then the final forward passenger side position is 4lo.

Hope this helps.

Alphonso

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
IHBP,

Thank you.  I understand that there is/was a little sticker on the drive shaft hump that showed the pattern.  Mine is gone, because my Samurai has sat in the Texas sun and rain (much more of the former of late) for a few years. 

I'm looking forward to getting this little beast humming just right...

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Alphonso

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »
Thanks again.  This is a cool site.  I expect I'll be back as I learn about my new toy and how to make it go...

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
here is a good resource for you:

http://www.acksfaq.com
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com