Hello Guest

Samurai idles but dies the second you give it gas

• 8 Replies

Samurai idles but dies the second you give it gas
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Samurai idles but dies the second you give it gas.   IF you floor it, it will hesitate and then rev up like normal and drop back down to a perfect idle.  Every once in a while it will run and drive perfectly for about a mile. Any suggestions?  1988 1.3

Offline Armour

Re: Samurai idles but dies the second you give it gas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:50:18 PM »
Carb?
89 Sidekick. 33's.  Lincoln Locker,4.24 T Case, 5.13 gears. Warn M8000 winch.
96 Tracker. 39.5's Locked 44's front and rear, 6.5 t case, 4.10 gears.

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:49:18 PM »
sounds like it's clogges, clean your fuel filter if you have one, I'd run some fuel injection cleaner through it.  had a hyundai that did the same thing, needed a stp injector cleaner every 3 months.  Works great on carbs, dont worry :)
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »
Take your carb apart and clean it.  Clean all passages, jets, etc.  Blow compressed air through everything to make sure they are all clean and clear.  Use new gaskets to reassemble it.  Bet your problem will go away.
Carb rebuild kits complete with gaskets can be bought from O'reilly Auto Parts for around $25.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »
Save some time....and just hose it down with carb cleaner while it's running...and rev the piss out of it.

>:D

Just don't put your hands or face near it, because it will probably shoot flames or perhaps a nice big fireball.  You probably won't actually catch anything on fire though...so no worries.   ;D

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
Take your carb apart and clean it.  Clean all passages, jets, etc.  Blow compressed air through everything to make sure they are all clean and clear.  Use new gaskets to reassemble it.  Bet your problem will go away.
Carb rebuild kits complete with gaskets can be bought from O'reilly Auto Parts for around $25.

I would say only do this if you are experienced in rebuilding carbs. The Suzuki carbs have a ton of tiny passages and check balls in them that are easy to screw up. It's not like rebuilding an old Quadrajet.

Offline Freak

• !
    • Freakreation
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
I've had this problem a few times with Sammy Carbs. You get Sediment in the fuel bowls and due to the rough ride it will stir up with the fuel and get stuck in the jet. You don't need to pull the whole carb apart but it would be beneficail. Otherwise just remove the fuel bowl and jets for a clean.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

I would say only do this if you are experienced in rebuilding carbs. The Suzuki carbs have a ton of tiny passages and check balls in them that are easy to screw up. It's not like rebuilding an old Quadrajet.

Maybe.  I had never taken apart a carb before (vehicle carb anyways), before I redid the one on my samurai a couple of months ago.  If you can take things apart and remember how they go back together (or have a manual/diagram that shows you), then it's not too hard to do.
just my .02
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
Sounds like maybe you got a knack for the mechanics.  :)