Hello Guest

Bedlining your Track/Kick

• 9 Replies

Offline Hynzer

• ZUKIWORLD ROCKS!
Bedlining your Track/Kick
« on: August 13, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
Hey,

I recently took two days to bedline my Sunrunner, and wanted to post that it is a worthwhile upgrade to your track/kick.  It turned out awesome.  I used hippo liner from napa - on sale, but have heard herculiner works well too.  This stuff doesn't just make the interior of your rig look amazing, it helps deaden a lot of road noise, which is good if you run your track/kick as a daily driver, plus it creates a rock hard shell over the entire floor/sides/inner firewall footarea.  I have been doing errands for friends, throwing stuff in the back(bench seat out) and this stuff so far can take a beating.  Best part about it, is that you never have to worry about water getting in and rotting the floorboards out. 

Its important to note, it does take a lot of elbow grease.  I took a few days to pull the rug, seats, prep work etc.  The sounddeadening material under the rug really holds the moisture, and if you driving in the northern States/Canada it will rot your floor out eventually.  Especially if you have any leaks in your hardtop/tailgate area like myself, and a few others I know.  Anyhow, pulled the rug, gutted all the rusted out areas, got someone to weld in some new steel, for the smaller holes, I primed and used long hair fiberglass filler, ripped all the factors rubber mats that were stuck all over, sanded down everything real good, then applied two coats of the hippo liner, allowing 2-3 hours for the first coat to dry.  What a difference!

Only thing I would do differently, I would bought two bedliner kits and put on 3 or 4 coats of it to really help with the sound deadening. 

Will try to post some pics so you can get a look.

C

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
Re: Bedlining your Track/Kick
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »
Sounds like you used the right stuff. I did the same thing, but I used something called "Premium Rubberized Rocker Guard". Turns out, when it gets real hot out, it softens up and sticks to whatever you have sitting on the floor or in the trunk. Ruined a couple of good shirts that way. Also, it is gas-soluble, so no spilling jerry cans in the back!
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »
thanks for the info

cant wait to see those pics

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
Pics would be sweet.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Hynzer

• ZUKIWORLD ROCKS!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »
Hey,

I should have time tonight to pull the top off and get a good picture of it.

So far this stuff has no problems with heat.  I was worried about that since I don't have a heat shield above the exhaust, so the drivers side floorboard underneath and behind the seat would really heat up.  The hippo liner stays completely intact under this heat, no softening whatsoever.  It actually shields the inside of the cab a little from the heat.  Also, supposedly this stuff is ultra chemical resistant, so hopefully gas and whatever else finds its way in the back will not deteriorate the finish.

C

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:10:28 PM »
It's meant to take the abuse a truck bed would... holds up really well.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »
Did the same with Hurculiner, works great too.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Rileysowner

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
I wish I had heard of this years ago as the rear bed is really rotted.  I'm going to have to find something to replace it.  Any sources in Canada (South Western Ontario) for metal that is pre-bent to lay in nicely.  I can clean out the rust and weld it in myself, but trying to get flat sheet to fit in the patterned bed is beyond my ability unless someone has suggestions.  Once I get that rust fixed I will do this. 

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:37:21 AM »
Cut & replace is really your only choice... or finding a rust-free body somewhere.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Rileysowner

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:08:21 AM »
Ya, I know cut and replace is my only option.  I was hoping someone would have a good idea on what to replace it with.  I should see if I can find a less rusty floor at a wrecker somewhere, but I get the feeling that around here (SW Ontario) most Kicks/Trackers/Sunrunners end up at a metal recycler rather than at the wreckers.