Hello Guest

toyota axle question....

• 3 Replies

toyota axle question....
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:29:37 AM »
hey I'm new to the forum and yes i have been searching around.....

i have an 88 samurai spoa with 2" leafs and 31's thinking about getting some toyota axles... with my new 2" leafs my u joints stated to hate me. I got the back working ok but the front was vibrating bad got a toy cv shaft up front still vibes at low speeds played with pinion angle all day. starting to think when i folded my old leafs i might of bent the front end too.... or messed up something in it...

any way think i might get toyota axles now. found a set with 4.11's but he had 4.56's too they would be good for my 31's. then when i stretch the front out down the road and run 35's or something ill get a t case kit. i was planing on running a cv shaft in back (another toyota front cv shaft shortened and balanced) will it work with the centered rear axle? i seen some people online doing it and say it works ok. i don't want to buy an offset rear end. so if i can just run a cv shaft and be good then i be doing the axle swap i think....

i drive this on the street and its my winter rig also so it would be nice if i could go over 35mph in 4wd and around 55mph in 2wd with out nasty vibs...

just need some opinions to help make up my mind. just want to be sure it will work..

Thanks Jeremy

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: toyota axle question....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
You should be fine.  Especially if your target speed is around 55.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
ok so with the sky toy axle mounting kit where does it put my pinion at? dont think its going to work for cv set up up front will it. so run cv in the rear and a toyota rear shortened for up front?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
Your CV driveshaft can run with a flat pinion, you just don't have to like you do with two u-joints.  So in the rear you might need to cut the pads off and change them so the pinion is pointed up at the t-case.

In the front you will want to keep the axle level, unless you are going to cut and turn the knuckles so they stay level with the rotated center section.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing