Hello Guest

leaky oil pan

• 11 Replies

dentedzuk

leaky oil pan
« on: November 14, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »
Anybody replace their oil pan gasket?  mine is leaking pretty good,  and I was wondering how hard it is to replace?

kingzoo

Re: leaky oil pan
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:39 AM »
   Mine too!My manual says that if it is a 4 wheel drive you have to drop the front differential tl get the oil pan off.I hope not.If it is 2 wheel drive the steering assembly has to be dropped.
   All that is according to my Chiltons manual,so it is probably correct.I just had surgery again,so mine will have to wait a while.But if I get to mine first,I will let you knowfor sure.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
In a sidekick/tracker, you'll pretty much have to unbolt the front diff and move it out of the way.

Also, undo the idler arm to move the steering out of the way some.  You don't have to remove any more of the steering than that.

The worst thing is having to unbolt the front driveshaft to the pinion, then undoing that diff mount too can be a PITA sometimes.

Removing the whole thing out of the way would give you the best access to the oil pan.

I haven't tried it, but i've considered undoing the engine mounts from the 3 bolts on either side that bolt the mount to the frame, then lift up the engine several inches, and it may give enough clearance to leave the front diff where it is and remove the pan that way.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
I've had to remove my oil pan twice during my turbo build, and no matter what you move, removing it's still a PITA. You WILL have to remove the front diff, but by twisting the pan around you can get it off without removing any of the steering parts. The big problem is the crossmember under the engine. It prevents the pan from dropping down far enough to get a good shot at removing it cleanly. Maybe lifting the engine is a good idea. The oil pickup also prevents the pan from dropping out cleanly, so I had too drop the pan onto the cross member, reach inside and undo the screws holding the pickup in place, let it drop into the pan, then twist the pan and remove. Once out, clean everything thoroughly, and use a silicone gasket maker in place of the gasket, drop the oil pickup back in the pan, and struggle to get it back in place without getting silicone all over your hands, and everywhere else, while bolting the pickup back in place, and twisting the pan around to get it back into position. I ended up putting the pan and pickup back in place, installing the pickup, THEN putting the gasket maker onto the edge of the pan. I hope and wish there is an easier way to do it, but I don't think so.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

dentedzuk

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
 :o unless i ever get a new front diff or swap the engine i think my is pan going to be a leak i'll learn to live with! 
im just gonna clean off the excess oil and try siliconing  the entire outer rim of the pan..  ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 01:48:02 PM by dentedzuk »

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
:o unless i ever get a new front diff or swap the engine i think my is pan going to be a leak i'll learn to live with! 
i think im just gonna clean off the excess oil and try siliconing  the entire outer rim of the pan..  ;)

That sounds like a suzuki-owners way of dealing with it.

I fell your pain cause i pulled out the front axle last night to put in the calmini stuff.  PITB.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 03:05:26 PM »
Now, how are you ever going to learn about how to take it apart and put it back together if you don't suffer a little bit ;D
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

dentedzuk

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »
im just putting it off for later!! >:D

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 06:14:33 PM »
Does any one know the right way to change the oil pan, on a Tracker 4x4 and the easiest, i really need help thanks. G.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »
Does any one know the right way to change the oil pan, on a Tracker 4x4 and the easiest, i really need help thanks. G.

You WILL have to remove the front diff, but by twisting the pan around you can get it off without removing any of the steering parts.

Offline kingzoo

• I LOVE MY JLX SIDEKICK
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »
   I did the oil pan gasket on my 91 kick recently,and it was simple.All I had to do was drop the front diff,which doesn't weigh very much.i did not have to mess with removing anything else but the diff.
   A tranny jack really doe's make it easier,due to the size of the platform and being able to strap it down well.
KING ZOO!!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
I have dropped my oil pan without having to drop the axle housing, raise the engine, move any of the steering, or undo the pickup tube.
You have to get the pan loose, spin it 180 degrees and it will come out with some work (mainly getting it "off" the pickup tube.  Just be sure to drain the oil first, makes it easier to handle the pan.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.